_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Grass Mats---Anyone Use Them? Are They Good?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 09:43 PM UTC
I've seen some wargaming and model grass mats and am wondering if they're worth the investment.

https://www.google.com/search?q=model+scene+grass+mats&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmteOe-eHYAhVLR6wKHWQ_CFwQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=725

https://www.google.com/search?q=model+scene+grass+mats&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU_uWf-eHYAhUQbawKHcxJCGEQ_AUIvAIoAQ&biw=1536&bih=725

I'm not talking about the cheap ones at the crafts store, but some of these really fancy ones.

Questions:

* What scales are they best used for? Would they pass for 1/20 and 1/16 figures, or would that look like they're standing on weeds?

* Is there any brand that is the best one?

* Would the turf and groundwork flake off like dandruff?

* Is it easy to cut and shape? Is it flexible or does it need to always lie flat?

* Is it realistic enough "As is," meaning in nature do all grass grow one color?

I have pebbles and foliage so I can make my own groundwork from scratch. I'm just wondering if grass mats are worth the price and easier and faster to use than making each groundwork scene from scratch.

Thanks!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:06 PM UTC
I've used them for 1/35 Armor, 1/32 aircraft, and 1/16 figures, not those you've linked, but similar ones marketed by Noch a few years ago. I like them, they can be cut apart and used as accents for dioramas and vignettes. However, like anything else, it may take some imagination to use them. If you place the model directly on the mat it will look like a model placed on a mat If you blend them with other materials, it will be much better in appearance. They are much easier to use and place than trying to drill your own shrubbery or ground cover into a base, and I've got some dioramas and vignettes that are 20 years old that show no sign of "flaking off or losing turf".
VR, Russ
gaz_ewart
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC
I've used the ones in your second link. And in all honesty I would not go back to making my own terrain. These are great.

I do add some tufts, flowers etc to the matts to pad them out and add some flavour but I really do enjoy using them.

Is it cheating? I only see it the same as using decals where things were painted and sprayed.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:13 AM UTC
To answer one of your questions, no grass isn't all one color. Like anything else, there is variation in shades due to irregularity in soil and water conditions that make grass grow differently from spot to spot. I know it is hard right now if you are experiencing winter right now, but I have found it helpful to take pictures of fields and parks for reference on how the flora looks in different spots. It helps that I live in semi-rural Georgia so we have pasture and undeveloped woodland nearby, but even then you might find good pics online that will help guide you.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:38 AM UTC
I have a few of these Model Scene brand ones and can recommend them. The Stoney Steppe also has rock litter as well as tufts of grass of different lengths.

I glue them over a bed of plaster so I can shape the plaster to have ridges and valleys that the mat adheres to, to resemble uneven ground, as it looks better than gluing straight to a flat base - unless you are modelling an overgrown golf green or football field

One mat is big enough for 2 small to medium size 1/35th scale models (Panzer 3 size) comfortably or a Panzer IV size more or less parallel to the edges (you can place it 30 degrees to the edge with a small over hang) or one large 1/35th model.
 _GOTOTOP