My new Dio!
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi Guys my new dio is completed!
Tell me what you think, if you want to see better or more detailed pics you'll have to go to my Gallery.............They may take a while to show...........Sorry!

(Thanx to Major_Goose for the help in posting pics! )
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
Nice overall diorama. I like the multiple mini-stories involved. You don't see turely burnt buildings depicted. The burn technique is nice. I like the creativity you've displayed with the figures, as far as repositioning them from thier intended use. Nice detail all around.

I'd like to offer some suggestions for your next diorama. The one thing that struck me and took me a minute to figure out what was fooling my eyes was that the rubble is 'red' and the broken edge of the buildings is gray. If you could either represent the redness in the edge of the breaks or break away some of the outter plaster and represent redness there it would blend the rubble to the building a bit better.
On the side away from the motorcycle I would personally like to see more rubble. There used to be a two story building there, where's all the 'stuff'.
This is something every modeler of dioramas fights with. We All have Tamiya's sandbag set and we all try to find a use for those bags. They are soo stiff looking. If you could make a couple out of putty it would 'ease' the look around the barrel.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
I am so glad to help posting these nice pics of your fine work. Itis a nice scene, with correct setup with calm feeling and i like it very much . As far as i can see you have done nice carving and ground work and also nice figures. BRAVO my friend. Keep up the good work here
Longshanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments fo far guys,

Slodder:

Quoted Text

The one thing that struck me and took me a minute to figure out what was fooling my eyes was that the rubble is 'red' and the broken edge of the buildings is gray.

Thanks you reminded me about that, I just forgot to do it!........................Ooops!

Has been corrected..............
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
Nice work! Good composition, nice details, interest to draw you in and make you want to look around. camo painting looks good. Congratulation on a great job

Thoughts: the edges of the building look too much like they have been applied spatula or painting knife.... not roughed up enough.

One way I work these edges it to take some of the debris that will end up on the ground and embedded it into the wet putty on the top of the walls and edges. After it dries I knock some of it off to create a broken up look. Just a thought

Floor planking... I like the paint job and detail, but in scale they would be nearly 24 inch wide. not usual in most European buildings. Keep up the excellent detail, just make the planks more to scale.

john
www.johnneill.com
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:58 PM UTC
Overall, a nice effort... good story line, and realistic composition. I think the streets look a little "too clean" - in a building that size that has been shattered, there should be a TON of debris... wooden beams, chunks of mortar, etc... Perhaps just a light touch of pastels and a few extra spoonfuls of grey kitty litter to cover the otherwise nicely done cobblestone streets, sidewalk, and inner wall areas would "dirty things up" just about right?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:08 PM UTC
Nice diorama! The dio is composed of different scenes bounded into one. Good work!
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:59 PM UTC
A Very, very nice dio man!

One thing i noticed (except the missing rubble and its color) is that u dont have weapon straps on any of weapons except on ones they wear on their shoulders... that MG and rifles would surely look more nicer with the straps

just my idea... otherwise, u got urself a nice dio!

Mirko 'Sensei' Jovanovic
Longshanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments, hints and tips guys..........they'll come in handy in the future......

Although I think I'll tackle a few vignettes before doing another large dio like this again!
:-)
 _GOTOTOP