_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
current paint scheme used on Israeli armor
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 01:12 AM UTC
Im wondering what is the current color used on all Israeli armored vehicles
Do they still use the sand gray as in the color from model master?
I read some where they are reverting to a shade of olive drab
Any assistance will be appreciated
MarshGelbart
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 01:06 PM UTC
Over several decades photographing IDF armour, I have noticed a shift from what is generally thought of as Sinai Grey, to a drab olive with a greyish tinge.

You also need to take account that digital cameras will give different results according to light conditions, so that the same colour appears to have different tones and accents.

Because the initial paint coating applied to Merkavas includes basalt chips, the paint is readily coated with dust from local terrain. Thus tanks with an identical colour paint finish, can look very different when seen in the Negev when compared to the Golan.

In addition I do believe when IDF tanks are given a paint refresh, units do marginally change the exact tone and tinge of the paint used, to reflect local conditions.

Cheers
Marsh
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 01:29 PM UTC
I sprayed my Achzarit with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Khaki, XF-49 and Medium Gray, XF-20.over a dark gray primer (Krylon rattle can). I used Deck Tan, XF-55 to lighten it for modulation.

No pics tonight I'm at work.

G
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 04:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Over several decades photographing IDF armour, I have noticed a shift from what is generally thought of as Sinai Grey, to a drab olive with a greyish tinge.

You also need to take account that digital cameras will give different results according to light conditions, so that the same colour appears to have different tones and accents.

Because the initial paint coating applied to Merkavas includes basalt chips, the paint is readily coated with dust from local terrain. Thus tanks with an identical colour paint finish, can look very different when seen in the Negev when compared to the Golan.

In addition I do believe when IDF tanks are given a paint refresh, units do marginally change the exact tone and tinge of the paint used, to reflect local conditions.

Cheers
Marsh

So that being said you could see a Merkava IV in a shade of olive drab or kahki?

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:06 PM UTC
Chose your color ...

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:17 PM UTC
some other vehicles with variations:

tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

some other vehicles with variations:

those pics were a great help thank you im going to use my Merkava I as a test subject and use krylon's olive as a primer base then a light coat of thier kahki as the base coat
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

those pics were a great help thank you im going to use my Merkava I as a test subject and use krylon's olive as a primer base then a light coat of thier kahki as the base coat

Take in mind that the weathering might really affect your color shades.

For instance at this photo the two vehicles are painted with the same color but with different weathering:

the front one has no dust on it and the rear one had also a grey filter before weathering.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 07:11 PM UTC
For a more dramatic example of the differing colors, refer to the IDF graveyard thread from several weeks ago. You can see several different shades all within the same photo.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 08:44 PM UTC
To reiterate/repeat much of what has already been posted here, and an extract from a thread from several years ago: I happen to be a big fan of Tamiya acrylics, (limited though my experience may be), and I personally am not thrilled with the complications involved in enamel painting (smell, clean-up, etc.), so I was very interested in determining if there was an acrylic equivalent to Humbrol 84 (which has been THE current IDF color, per Michael Mass, an IDF expert), preferably in Tamiya colors. There are a number of suggestions for mixes of colors for current IDF vehicles that can be found here on Armorama, but I verified an almost perfect match to Humbrol 84 this morning. It is: 2 parts XF-20 Medium Grey to 1 part XF-49 Khaki. Perhaps an even closer match may be a 1.5 to 1 ratio, which would result in just the smallest adjustment to the green end of the scale, but I have not yet tried that. As is, the 2:1 ratio is just fine!

Though this was from several years ago, I stand by the 2:1 Tamiya XF-20 to XF-49. And, as many have written, dust/dirt which is so prevalent in Israel, changes to overall color quite a bit.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im wondering what is the current color used on all Israeli armored vehicles

AFAIK the standard IDF color hasn't changed in the past 30-35 years.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AFAIK the standard IDF color hasn't changed in the past 30-35 years.

There is a slight variation in tone at the beginning of the 90's but nothing major.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frankly, I find that hard to believe. The IDF moves its hardware around the country quiet frequently, it wouldn't make any sense to adjust to local conditions.
When I was a greenhorn, I asked once why we don't have those cool camouflage uniforms other armies have. They made me roll over in the dust and told me 'there you go'. The same rule applies for AFVs as well: after no time in the field they'll be covered by dust/sand anyway. Between us, who cares about the exact color in such conditions...?

AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 - 11:16 PM UTC
Here are photos of my Achzarit painted with the 50/50 Tamiya mix of Khaki and Medium Gray.

G
MarshGelbart
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi Nick,

Not Khaki. Olive drab with a faint grey tinge to it.Then add local dust to the mix!
Cheers
Marsh
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Frankly, I find that hard to believe. The IDF moves its hardware around the country quiet frequently, it wouldn't make any sense to adjust to local conditions.
When I was a greenhorn, I asked once why we don't have those cool camouflage uniforms other armies have. They made me roll over in the dust and told me 'there you go'. The same rule applies for AFVs as well: after no time in the field they'll be covered by dust/sand anyway. Between us, who cares about the exact color in such conditions...?

Word. Most folks who have been in the field will confirm that after a very short time, everything, including troops are covered with a uniform layer of dirt / mud / dust. Seems crazy that the IDF would go to the trouble of repainting their armor using a very slightly different shade every time a unit relocated to a different part of the country.
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 01:39 AM UTC
Israel,

Love that photo of the dusty Merkava 4. I think I have to do my Meng Merkava 4 (when I get it) like this. What part of Israel has this redish brownish dust. Is this from the Golan? I also note that the crew is in matching camo uniforms.

By the way thank you for all the photos you have put up on IDF armor.

Dave
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What part of Israel has this redish brownish dust. Is this from the Golan?

Some parts of the Northern Negev have this kind of red soil, so I would say the photo was taken somewhere around the the Gaza Strip, but I'm not entirely sure...

Quoted Text

By the way thank you for all the photos you have put up on IDF armor.

Thanks! Hang around, as more to come...
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 06:47 PM UTC
Note how a layer of dust accumulated on the horizontal surfaces changes the appearance of the tank...

ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:17 PM UTC
A Namer perfectly 'adjusted' to local conditions

_GOTOTOP