_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Prime/Paint vs. Burnishing Friuls
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:11 AM UTC
Just wondering what you guys think on the subject - specifically, do you get more realism out of either?

I've only primed black, painted gray/rust and then sanded the high points to expose .... I just ordered a bit of the AK Burnishing Fluid to maybe give it a whirl.

For North Africa/Tunisia Tiger I for instance, wouldn't the burnishing look TOO rusty for that environment?

I know there are experts on here who can comment --- thanks again, you guys are awesome
FarmerDave
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC
I do exactly what you do.
I have read a number of times that burnishing fluids can be corrosive and damage the tracks a number of months/years after the model is completed. Not sure if its one particular make or all of them.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:52 AM UTC
I have done both and both methods have been effective.The burnishing fluid is tricky in that the tracks need to be absolutely clean or the reaction wont take place,I scrub with acetone.One time it rusted just right,another time it was blotchy,had to touch up with paint anyway.For me the paint has been more reliable,plus that fluid aint cheap.

Oh,and the one that came out very good was for a Tunisian Tiger,remember the fluid doesnt rust the tracks,it turns them a brownish color which looks prerry good

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:29 AM UTC
I have heard of people using CLR lime and scale remover from the grocery store with good results. I haven't tried it myself yet but I have a bottle to try it with.
 _GOTOTOP