Hosted by Darren Baker
Olifant Mk1a SADF
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 06:50 PM UTC
This is a project I had been postponing for quite4 some time but finally found the patience and time to start.

I am using the AFV Club Australian Centurion kit with a 105mm gun barrel from another AFV Club Centurion, PanzerArt wheels, AFV Club individual lnk tracks and the Inside the Armour conversion set.

I found great info and photos from a Facebook group regarding the South African Ddefence Force. I also tried to see other builds but the Photobucket issue has caused many many useful photos to stop being accessible.

The build started by assembling the hull. Parts fit was great, and only the part forming the back of the hull was a little short where the part meets the engine deck. A 2mm plastic strip was used.

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 06:55 PM UTC
The suspension was assembled without any problems. The panzerAr wheels are not the best but I prefer them over the ruuber parts of the kit.

The fenders and stowage bins were easy to assemble, some cleanup of the resin pieces was required but nothing major. Detail is crisp and all the parts are without warping.

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:00 PM UTC
The turret and the stowage bins are provided in resin and the fit is great. The only part requiring attention is the rear stowage bin that has to be aligned carefully with the side bins. A resin mesh is provided that can be used with some cleanup first. I did not have a similar photoetch part to use.

I will be deatiling the model after all major assemblies are done.

Feel free to comment or suggest anything that might improve the result.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:14 PM UTC
Looking great. I missed out on that conversion. Still hoping someone else releases a conversion or a kit
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:22 PM UTC
Very nice work on your Olifant. I have the OOP Cromwell conversion that the Inside the Armour conversion is based on.

How are the smoke grenade discharger guards in your conversion? The ones in my conversion are extremely fragile.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking great. I missed out on that conversion. Still hoping someone else releases a conversion or a kit

The biggest advantage of the resin conversion is the antiskid on the surfaces. It is very good. If HobbyBoss decides to backdate their upcoming Olifant 1b kit I am definately buying it.

Quoted Text

Very nice work on your Olifant. I have the OOP Cromwell conversion that the Inside the Armour conversion is based on.

How are the smoke grenade discharger guards in your conversion? The ones in my conversion are extremely fragile.

The set does not supply any smoke disharger guards, but it includes this in the instructions, hope you will find it helpful (click on the thumb, I have uploaded in somewhat large resolution):

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:39 PM UTC
Thanks Nikos, I suspect the guards weren’t include because of how delicate the original castings were to start off with.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Nikos, I suspect the guards weren’t include because of how delicate the original castings were to start off with.

Well, it seems kind of strange that they are not included, since Inside the Armour supplies the headlight guards, the antenna guards and the mesh for the turret stowage bin, parts that are also very delicate and easy to brake, espacially with the resin becoming more and more brittle as time passes. But I think that the drawing is very helpful, I will try to build them, as well as build the headlight guards instead of using the resin parts.

frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 01:10 AM UTC
there is supplied in the kit from inside the Armour, wire for making the guards, what time frame are you going for as they are a later fit to the Olifant. the smoke dischargers i'm referring to.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

there is supplied in the kit from inside the Armour, wire for making the guards, what time frame are you going for as they are a later fit to the Olifant. the smoke dischargers i'm referring to.

I got the set second hand so I did not find any wire in the box. My mistake that I did not mention this earlier.

I am propably doing a late version vehicle, with the IR periscope on the driver's hatch, the smoke discharger guards, the antenna guards and I want to add a .30 cal to the commander's cupola, but have not yet figured out where or how it is mounted on the late style cupolas.
frank01
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 - 04:57 AM UTC
The mount is to the left of the commander ockulor scope, links show it. The mount of gun looks the same as original mount.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Olifant_Mk_Ib_Commander_Hatch.jpg
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The mount is to the left of the commander ockulor scope, links show it. The mount of gun looks the same as original mount.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Olifant_Mk_Ib_Commander_Hatch.jpg

Actually I am more confused because there are very few photos of an Olifant with the .30 cal machine gun mounted and I cannot make out if the use the original mount or not.

This is a photo from 1993:

This is an earlier one, exact date and time unknown:

This shows the machine gun covered:

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:03 PM UTC
I started detailing the model, lots of stuff to add like wires, nuts and bolts, some filling and sanding to parts were the resin pieces align with the plastic ones etc...

frank01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:10 AM UTC
that first photo is back to front, pity not larger as would give better image.
ones i found for you, unable to find better ones.
looks like fixed to inner ring judging both photos, mount for gun original yank/UK, from what I came across.

hope all this helps as i have one half finished.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Olifant_Mk_1A_turret_details.jpg

the mount on another vehicle.

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/sadf-operation-moduler-1987.10926/full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1159721125

with a few extras as on the ARV, not the correct fitting but right location.

http://data3.primeportal.net/recovery/chris_baxter/olifant_recovery/images/olifant_recovery_19_of_49.jpg

possibly this cradle

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/new-sadf-rooikat-armored-car-unveiled-traversing-rural-type-news-photo/50427646#new-sadf-rooikat-armored-car-unveiled-traversing-ruraltype-road-picture-id50427646

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/sadf-school-of-armour-jls-1986.10873/full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=0
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:23 AM UTC
Many thanks for the information.

I have found another photo, is the mount ased on the cube the arrow is pointing at?

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:26 AM UTC
Some more turret top photos:

frank01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:42 AM UTC
good pictures.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

good pictures.

I have some more if you are interested. Mainly hull details.
frank01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:37 AM UTC
yes please, it would assist myself and others in the future,
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:45 AM UTC
You need to cut the link ends every 12 links, standard practice of the SADF as to make removing the track pins easier.

Humbrol 29 is the best color match.

Click on the thumbnails for bigger photos, I have uploaded them to their original resolution

armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:54 PM UTC
Is there any way that I can build this tank without using the Inside The Armour resin parts?. I ask as I`d like this version but the problem is that ITA no longer makes resin parts.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there any way that I can build this tank without using the Inside The Armour resin parts?. I ask as I`d like this version but the problem is that ITA no longer makes resin parts.

You can try to make an early Olifant mkI variant.

You can start with the AFV Club Shot Cal 1973 kit. This way you get the modified hull. You will have to scratchbuild the rear fender mudguards, the front ones (not that difficult), the air cleaners and the rear stowage boxes. You will also have to make the headlights and their guards.

For the turret you will need to scratchbuild the rear stowage boxes and some other details and changes. I can provide measurments if you want from the ITA resin parts. You can find aftermarket smoke launchers (Voyager makes them I think).

You biggest difficulty will be the hatch of the commanders cupola and a couple of details like the fire extinguishers and the brackets holding the rear turret stowage bin in place. You can get the rear formation light from a Leopard kit.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:46 PM UTC
This is a Shot Cal kit being used on a build I found. You can get an idea for the work needed on the hull:

travoski
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi
I served at 1SSB Tempe in SADF in 1972 here is a link to a video but the pics are rather bad https://youtu.be/0QbyPenxwqM search !SSB they have a museum at the base were I was stationed maybe you may find more info re mounting of gun I was a driver on the Eland 60mm and 90mm we called them Noddy Cars there was a tank squadren on our base E squdren if I recall they had Centurion Tanks later modified to become The Oilifant (which means Elephant by the way)
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I served at 1SSB Tempe in SADF in 1972 here is a link to a video but the pics are rather bad https://youtu.be/0QbyPenxwqM search !SSB they have a museum at the base were I was stationed maybe you may find more info re mounting of gun I was a driver on the Eland 60mm and 90mm we called them Noddy Cars there was a tank squadren on our base E squdren if I recall they had Centurion Tanks later modified to become The Oilifant (which means Elephant by the way)

Many thanks for the info. Some nice shots in the video.

I am still adding details to the model, plus I found some nice photoetch for the mesh at the turret basket from the Chieftain Marksman kit. I will post some photos as soon as I am finished with detailing.
 _GOTOTOP