Hosted by Darren Baker
My Observations on Bronco’s MaxxPro M1224
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hello everyone, I want to share some observations about this new kit. There is a good first look style review done here on Armorama by Darren Baker and a more comprehensive one on Perth Military Modelling Site done by Terry Ashley. I just want to add some observations I made while looking it over. My first impression is just one word, WOW! The new Panda MaxxPro Dash M1235A1 has a total of 415 parts. According to the review on PMMS the Bronco version has over 1000 parts! A modern tank model can have around 1000 parts but close to half of them are the tracks. This MaxxPro has that many parts without tracks. Let that sink in. 1000 parts with almost none repeated. Where the Panda Dash has a slide molded chassis, this kit has a chassis that assembles like the real one. It also has a nicely detailed engine to fill the space under the hood. It can stand a bit of detail if you want the hood open, but if not it is just right. Taking a close look at the 40 page instruction booklet shows that there aren’t many details missed on the chassis. There are even valves to attach your scratch built brake lines to. I guess that’s enough drivel, now on to the photos!

In this photo you can see one of the valves provided at 1, one of the many pin marks everywhere at 2, and some minor flash at 3.

More pin marks on the frame. I really don’t know how visible these will be once all the other parts are added. They should be easy to remove with a drop of cyanoacrylate.

There is some flash on the grill that may be hard to remove.

On the underside of the roof there is a combination depressions that need to stay at 1 and pin marks that need to be removed at 2.

More pin marks on the floor.

There are a bunch of bolts molded here that are called out in various places in the instructions.

The groove detail on the mirrors is a bit shallow and the detail on another part circled is indistinct.

The mesh behind each person’s seat is depicted with a plastic part that has pretty convincing mesh detail molded on. The real mesh can be seen through and is depicted in aftermarket sets with photo etch parts. I’m sure Voyager will do a set for this model since they’ve already announced a set for the Panda Dash.

There is some very fine detail here.

To go along with a ton of pin marks, there is also a bit of flash on some of the smaller parts.

More great detail and some of the finely molded small parts.

The drive shafts are molded in two pieces which will leave a bit of a seam to clean up. There’s also some flash on them. There appears to be a complete intercom system with wires attached. Nice catch by Bronco. Some radios are also included.

Slide molds are used to good effect here. There is more of that sneaky flash.

There are some bad pin marks here along with significant flash.

The dash had some extremely sharp detail and quite a few parts that need to be added to it.

The steering wheel has the finger grooves on the back, a very nice touch.

The inside walls have some very nice detail that is marred by some of the pin marks that are used to pull a model from a mold instead of push it out. There are also some other scars on the surface that should be easy to sand out.

Tiny and perfectly formed parts.

These are absolutely the finest leaf springs I’ve seen in any model.

More tiny parts.

The windows are perfectly clear and distortion free. They are meant to be layered with two panes for every window. I’m not sure what the final effect will be. If I don’t like it I’ll cut some replacements from acrylic.

The tires are solid rubber and have beautiful sidewall detail. They are marred by a recessed seam around all four of them.

One last photo, and my biggest beef! My photo etch for the mesh over the A/C units is terrible. Something definitely went wrong here.

That’s it! Just a few photos and some of the pros and cons with the model as I see them. All of the issues can be fixed with a little time and skill. It will be some time before I get to work on it. I hope to see other tackle this kit. It will build into a truly amazing replica.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:24 PM UTC
I started mine. Some issues on my kit are 2 of the passenger nets are short-shot. Also, the locating pins on the cradle arms for the hull are so tiny that it' extremely easy to get it crooked. Detail is amazing, though. I'll have to look at my A/C photoetch
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:44 PM UTC
My PE is in much better shape than yours. The smaller screens are fine, the larger ones just have one thin line through the middle.
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 11:33 PM UTC
Jason, it is sad that there is poor quality control in this day and age. Do you have any idea if Bronco has good or any customer service?

Regards,

Eric
pattesmaq
Visit this Community
Haute-Alpes, France
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 01:21 AM UTC
Good evening the MAXXPRO from Bronco is impressive with these 1000 pieces, it looks very detailed. For now it is not available in France, I hate qy'il be distributed
bye
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 01:36 AM UTC
Very surprising to see the flash. All of the bronco kits I have seen have all been crisply molded. I would definitely contact them about the PE.

It looks like bronco did an okay job with this. The pin marks the vinyl wheels (why are these even included in kits these days?) and the flash are a big letdown. Well, at least I don't need to get rid of my Legend kit!
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason, it is sad that there is poor quality control in this day and age. Do you have any idea if Bronco has good or any customer service?

Regards,

Eric

I have never had to use them, so unfortunately I don't know.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have, and it is very good. I needed replacement photoetch, I had muffed mine in the Marder IID, and I only paid postage. Prompt replies to emails, photoetch arrived soon after, in a sturdy envelope. Very happy with the service.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks much for taking the time to post your first look. It's very helpful.
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have, and it is very good. I needed replacement photoetch, I had muffed mine in the Marder IID, and I only paid postage. Prompt replies to emails, photoetch arrived soon after, in a sturdy envelope. Very happy with the service.

That depends, i did try for almost 2 years to get a answer on missing decals over email.. I gave up as i did never get a answer from them.. So i hope you have much more luck... Otherwise ask lucky model for new parts as i assume it's from them you have got the kit as it seems they are the only one that have it...
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hakan, should I just try to contact Lucky Model through their website or through a DM here?

Regards,

Eric
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 08:17 AM UTC
I always had luck contacting Lucky through their website. They have a link to open a claim
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:41 AM UTC
Yes go the way Jason say, log in to your account and there you can send it from..
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 09:43 PM UTC
Thank you for the tips! I also want to mention Robert Skipper's walkarounds. I recently bought them for the M-ATV, the MaxxPro and the GMV. The sheer number of quality images is overwhelming. I went through them but still haven't had a chance to actually look at all of them. I highly recommend them for anyone doing one of the MaxxPros.

Regards,

Eric
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 08:07 PM UTC
Was the turret configuration with both M2 and M240 machine guns fitted ever been used on any action vehicle?
 _GOTOTOP