_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
british rank marking second world war
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:38 PM UTC
i'm trying to find out how the rank marking would have been displayed on Sergeant Charles Thornton uniform during the normandy invasion.

this gentleman was part of the british airborne assault force to capture the bridge over the river orne and arguably made the most important tank kill of the second world war.

are there two sets fo sergeant strips one for each arm or just one set and which arm would they have been on?

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:52 PM UTC
Looks like both arms.

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 09:01 PM UTC
thanks for that image, i was hunting through my books about the british airbourne in normandy and trying to find a a picture of sergeant thornton but i had no luck and typing his name into google kept giving me lots of pictures of american soldiers for some reason?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 09:08 PM UTC
I ran into this, as well. It seems the 101st and 82nd were more prevalent.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i'm trying to find out how the rank marking would have been displayed on Sergeant Charles Thornton uniform during the normandy invasion.

The regulations would provide for stripes on both arms but it's worth remembering that rank tabs were not always carried on battledress - the practice varied from unit to unit and depended to a degree on the how experienced the NCOs and officers were. Many of them avoided any equipment or markings that would make them stand out amongst their troops, even carrying rifles to further blend in.

Regards,
John
 _GOTOTOP