_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dry Brushing
DinnerOut
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:40 AM UTC
I'm new to the modelling scene. Could someone explain to me what drybrushing is and the best method to use...

Thanks,
DinnerOut
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hola Dinner!!!
Welcome to the site!
As for the best way of doing it, it all depends on what medium etc you are using, and Im sure that everybody have a certain way of doing it, so I'll tell you what I do.
Using a large pretty soft brush, dip it in the paint, roll it aorund so you have paint all over, then take the brush and brush something with it, I normally use an old wood block that I have the model mounted on, I know some people use paper towels, but Im sure anything that will rub the major part of the paint off will work. Now you should have a brush with "dry" paint on it, i.e. very little amount of paint. then take this and gently brush the surface that your'e wanting to get some contrast on, make sure you try this on some practise model(s) before the "real" thing so you wont get too much the first time, its essentially a trail and error testing phase you need to test and see what works for you and what results you are looking for. Hope this has been of some help, Im sure some of the other guys will help also!
Again, welcome to the site!
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC
Welcome to ya, DinnerOut ! Glad to have ya aboard... I use drybrushing for bringing out the detail on the instrument panels on my aircraft models... It does better that strainning to paint every little line with a toothpick....
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 03:57 PM UTC
Dinner,

there's a nice article out there.....

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/awpaint/awpaint.htm

And the best tip of all...Practice, practice, practice...

Good Luck and...... please share the results !
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 04:09 PM UTC
Too lazy and too late for me to write my own. I found this a while ago and kept for future reference:

"Dry brushing" is a way to highlight raised details. The basic technique is to dip a brush (ideally with slightly stiff bristles) in paint, then brush most of the paint off onto a piece of paper towel or cardboard until the brush is nearly empty - that is, until no more paint comes off on the paper. Then using this brush, lightly brush/scrub over the raised detail you want to highlight. The sharp edges of the detail engraving will tend to scrape what little paint is left on the brush off, onto the detail.
What color you use for this depnds on the effect you're trying to achieve. Dry brushing with silver/aluminum can be used to simulate paint chipped edges, for example around the dges of access panels, hatches, etc, or to highlight bolt/rivet detail. You can use a slightly lighter color than the base color - achieved by adding some amount of white to the base paint - to suggest places where the paint is worn clean by the hands and feet of operators. Or use a slightly darker paint - achieved by adding flat black or brown to the base color, to simulate dirt build up.
The above uses of this technique are intended to produce somewhat random results. When you get good at dry brushing, you can also use this technique to paint fine details such as emblems and scripts on cars, or the engraved numbers on dashboard/cockpit instruments.
(Don Schmitz 1/96)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:01 PM UTC
What i have started to do here recently is to put some of the paint I am going to dry-brush with out onto a buisness card and use this as my palett. The cardboard soaks up some of the oil and leaves the dryer pigment. I find this help with less drying off to do and saves the brushes a bit. Dont put out too much at a time though as it drys very quickly. Might help somebody!
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
This article below, by Bernard Cher was a terrific help to me
when I returned to modeling 3 years ago.

Remember - " PRACTICE & PATIENCE "
- ralph

DRYBRUSHING

Purpose
- To highlight the raised detail and edges of a model
- To give a used and worn look on the model surface

Recommended paint
- flat hobby enamel, emulsion paint (Plaka)
(P.S: Be sure that the paint for drybrushing is matt.)

Brushes to use
- High quality brushes with soft and flat bristles (1/2")

How
- Take out a small amount of paint from the paint bottle
- Use the portion of paint found below the bottle (most concentrated)
- Use a lighter colour of the model basic colour
- Example : If your basic colour of the model is dessert yellow, then use a lighter tone of dessert yellow (dessert yellow + white)
- Dip your brush with the paint that is removed from the bottle
- Wipe it dry with a piece of soft cloth.
- Stoke the brush on a scrap piece of paper until there is very little paint left on the brush.
- Apply it lightly on the model so that it catches on only the raised detail and edges
- Repeat the process until all detail are beautifully highlighted

Hints
1. Complete all paint jobs, application of decals and washes before drybrushing.
2. To prevent damaging the paint work, give the whole model a layer of clear matt coat before drybrushing - ( optional ).
3. Practice with different kinds of paint on a scrap piece of model.
4. Paint consistency is very important in this process (If there is too much paint on the brush, it will simply leave a lot of ugly streaks on the model, if there is tool little paint, it will leave nothing at all.)

Last word
This is not an easy skill to master. Always practice this before applying it on your actual model. However, the effects of drybrushing are truly amazing, many different effects can be achieved by the method. (E.g. toning, coloring, bringing out details, "worn" looks, etc.) Here are some drybrushing effects. Feel free to email me if you have any doubt. I will try my best to help you.

DRYBRUSHING EFFECTS

Article by - Bernard Cher

THIS BRUSH SET WORKS EXCELLENT & I RECOMMEND THEM - YOU CAN FIND THEM AT MICRO-MARK TOOLS
http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/81082.html

- ralph

_GOTOTOP