_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club CVR(T) Scimitar Bosnia '94
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:34 PM UTC
Afternoon, thought I'd post a few pics of my latest build, AFV Clubs Scimitar. I'm building it to represent my C/S which was 42 A Sqn Light Dragoons.
I've used Scorpion Miniature Models SMM 3511 CVR(T) Early Bolted Transmission Cover as mine was an early hull. Also SMM 3513 CVR(T) Scimitar Turret Detail Set as it was very rare we moved without the barrel trough & muzzle covers fitted and this update has a barrel fitted with them. Also better turret hatches and a few other bits and pieces. i've also got SMM 3514 CVR(T) Synthetic Tow Ropes and Shackles for when the vehicle is painted. To finish I have used Eduards CVR(T) etch set to sort out some of the fine detail issues. I need to get either Accurate Armour or SMM fire extinguihers as the BCF extinguishers were replaced prior to deployment.
Anyway pics below of it pre-undercoated. There are a few issues to sort out but nothing too difficult and the exhaust cover once i havepainted under it and weathered the exhaust.

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:05 AM UTC
You've really gone to town with that kit, i'm curious as to how you plan to bend the metal exhaust cover that comes with the kit.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:16 AM UTC
I've been wanting to do my wagon for years but could never build up the will to try scratching the gearbox deck, my scratching skills not being what they should be. Then I saw an advert on here for Scorpion Miniature Models and saw what they produced and had to give it a go. I'd also heard from people on here about the difficulties in bending the AFV Club exhaust cover and luckily there is one in the Eduard etch set. Hopefully that will be easier and I plan on using a pen/pencil to roll over the cover like a thin rolling pin. This will hopefully bend it to the required shape (or close to it) Then use CA glue to hold it in that shape when fitted. Again I saw someone use a pencil to roll a long etch piece into a circular shape on here.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:43 AM UTC
Great looking Scimitar build. I remember you posted years ago that you were with the Light Dragoons up in the Maglaj finger in '94. When was your tour? I did an exchange with the Light Dragoons in the summer of '94 in Maglaj on the Scimitars.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:02 AM UTC
HI Jason,

Yes I remember. My tour was from June til the beginning of December '94. We started in Tomislavgrad then moved to Gornji Vakuf and finally ended up in Maglaj spending roughly two months in each location. We took over from C Sqn LD in Maglaj so possibly you were with them. Although we did have some Canadian TUA/ITV's with us for a short time and I went to Visoko to fire on ranges there with a troop or so of Cougars. The photo below was taken there. Back of my Troop Sergeants head while he boresights can just be seen at the bottom of the picture. I'll have to dig some other pics out and get them scanned.

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd also heard from people on here about the difficulties in bending the AFV Club exhaust cover and luckily there is one in the Eduard etch set. Hopefully that will be easier and I plan on using a pen/pencil to roll over the cover like a thin rolling pin. This will hopefully bend it to the required shape (or close to it) Then use CA glue to hold it in that shape when fitted. Again I saw someone use a pencil to roll a long etch piece into a circular shape on here.

what Eduard set are you using that has the exhaust cover?
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:07 PM UTC
I'm using set number 35633. It's a two fret set with the exhaust cover and engine & gearbox deck mesh screens in it. it's really quite comprehensive but I haven't used a lot as some of it is very 2d and the kit detail is better such as bin catches etc.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hi Max,

Very nice build you got going there. Been working on one on and off for the past six months myself. Currently a HAWK launcher have put it on hold but your pictures makes me want to get back to the Scimitar.
One thing regarding the Eduard etch thought. When I was done bending and soldering the turret side stowage boxes I realized that they are quite a bit shorter than the kit parts. After doing some estimates looking at references I went with AFV Club's offerings.

Looking forward to see this with some paint on (and any photos you'd like to share of the real deal).

Cheers,
/E
Bricksy1969
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 02:02 PM UTC
Brilliant stuff Max
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 02:52 PM UTC
I have never had a problem with the AFV Club exhaust screen. Just anneal it beforehand and curve it over a file handle. It is very easy.

Max - a very nice model by the way.

Michael Shackleton
Scorpion Miniature Models.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Max,

Very nice build you got going there. Been working on one on and off for the past six months myself. Currently a HAWK launcher have put it on hold but your pictures makes me want to get back to the Scimitar.
One thing regarding the Eduard etch thought. When I was done bending and soldering the turret side stowage boxes I realized that they are quite a bit shorter than the kit parts. After doing some estimates looking at references I went with AFV Club's offerings.

Looking forward to see this with some paint on (and any photos you'd like to share of the real deal).

Cheers,
/E

I was in two minds which bins to use as the AFV Club ones looked a little long to me and didn't fit all that well. Plus the hinge detail was very heavy so I opted for the Eduard ones which to me look right on the turret when fitted.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have never had a problem with the AFV Club exhaust screen. Just anneal it beforehand and curve it over a file handle. It is very easy.

Max - a very nice model by the way.

Michael Shackleton
Scorpion Miniature Models.

Thanks Paul, it's a cracking little kit made even better by the addition of the Eduard set and SMM's bits and pieces.

To tell the truth Michael I didn't try with the AFC Club screen after reading others issues with it so will opt for the Eduard screen instead. Your stuff on the other hand is spot on and fits really well. The gearbox deck virtually dropped straight in once I'd cut the original deck out and the barrel with covers is spot on, exactly like what we had fitted on my wagon. Also the hatches are really nice, way better than the kit hatches.
Spaide
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:31 PM UTC
Very nice piece of work you have there! Can I ask what tracks you are going to use? Maybe you did say and I missed that part. I found on all of my afv scorpion kits, the kit tracks we're very short and too tight to be used. I then bought a set of accurate armour tracks, let's just say they were less than accurate. The builds have been on my shelf queen rack till I can try a set of fruil tracks
Just curious as to what your plans are for the tracks themselves.
Excellent work and love the pictures of your unit also.
Cheers from the American side of the pond!
Regards Ed
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:58 PM UTC
very nice work there Max

i love all the details that u did..
i remembered doing my AFVC Scorpion sometimes ago. I had no trouble bending or rolling the PE for the exhaust cover. I just anneal it and then roll it with a pen, then i tape the pe to the pen and let it cooled.
For the tracks, i think back then there is no replacement so i just used the kit tracks. The tracks is very bad and too short making them very tension that i cannot connect both end. So i used the cheat method. since i install the mud guard cover (as seen in malaysian scorpions), so i connect the tracks with sewing thread behind the covers near to the sprocket.
Photos are as belows

The exhaust PE cover

how the tracks join is hide

have fun and good luck

Zaidi

maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice piece of work you have there! Can I ask what tracks you are going to use? Maybe you did say and I missed that part. I found on all of my afv scorpion kits, the kit tracks we're very short and too tight to be used. I then bought a set of accurate armour tracks, let's just say they were less than accurate. The builds have been on my shelf queen rack till I can try a set of fruil tracks
Just curious as to what your plans are for the tracks themselves.
Excellent work and love the pictures of your unit also.
Cheers from the American side of the pond!
Regards Ed

Hi Ed,

I plan on using the AFV Club injection molded tracks. Got a set and they look really good. The proof will be in the putting together and fitting of them, make sure the sag is correct. You can see them in the following link. Significantly cheaper than anywhere else as well, wish I'd known this before buying mine.

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/product-page/afv-club-fv107-scorpion-tank-track-late
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi Zaidi,

Looks good and I know what you mean by the tracks, the ones in my box are really hard and would likely snap if I tried to fit them. I wouldn't like to be in that wagon when it fires, I know it's meant to be a low pressure gun but you can only go so low. 76mm was bad enough.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Jason,

Yes I remember. My tour was from June til the beginning of December '94. We started in Tomislavgrad then moved to Gornji Vakuf and finally ended up in Maglaj spending roughly two months in each location. We took over from C Sqn LD in Maglaj so possibly you were with them. Although we did have some Canadian TUA/ITV's with us for a short time and I went to Visoko to fire on ranges there with a troop or so of Cougars. The photo below was taken there. Back of my Troop Sergeants head while he boresights can just be seen at the bottom of the picture. I'll have to dig some other pics out and get them scanned.

It very well could have been C Sqn that I worked with. Great bunch of guys to do route Recces with...and to have libations with across from the camp at a little café as Serb tracers went overhead.

We sent a Cougar Troop up to Gornji Vakuf for several weeks to assist with keeping the shenanigans limited in nature.

I look forward to seeing your Scimitar with some paint on it!
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 12:32 AM UTC
Here is my Scimitar build with some paint on it. the white is Tamiya as it is very forgiving through an airbrush and all other details are painted using either Vallejo acrylics or Humbrol enamels. I found that the AFV Club decals were very brittle and snapped as I was adding them. I printed some of my own up to replace them and also printed the extra decals needed for this build. As I have built it as my wagon the number plate is correct, as is the UNPF number on the engine deck and turret rear. I printed a new Light Dragoons cap badge for the II sight cowl door as the kit badge is very simplistic. A Sqn vehicles had the vehicle callsign on the rear of each hull bin and also the roman numerals XVIII to signify the 18th Hussars (Queen Marys Own) one of the forerunner Regiments of the Light Dragoons. Some things left to do are more weathering, fit the tracks and also the dry powder extinguishers in place of the kit BCF extinguishers.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 12:21 PM UTC
It looks really nice so far. I remember having built the kit from the box and painted it in the UN livery. From your post, I understand mine is not that accurate.
Keep on the good work!

Olivier
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 01:34 PM UTC
Fab build Max
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Olivier, it builds up quite nice straight from the box but when you have served on them as long as I did you do notice the errors. Plus I was building a specific vehicle so things had to be changed. I'll be doing another of my vehicle on the Bosnia '99 tour which was green and black and had E-spire fitted. That's where SMM comes in again as they have a new E-Spire sight head in their stock. So I''ll be contacting you soon Mick
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 01:13 AM UTC
Phantastic work. The level of detail you put into this build is stunning. White UN vehicles are not easy to paint, but you did a great job!

Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Walter
 _GOTOTOP