_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Post war Wehrmacht trucks.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 02:20 PM UTC
I'm working on a couple post war trucks (Magrius S-3000 and Mercedes L 1500) The Magrius is a 49 production. Mercedes, I dunno. How many military trucks (Few? Lots?) found use after the war? What types? How long before they were replaced with new production? Repainted? Would early war stuff (Einheitsdiesels, etc) have survived?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:05 AM UTC
Can ask a friend who has knowledge on wartime-postwar trucks.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:38 AM UTC
Danke sehr.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 02:14 AM UTC
My friend says that all kinds of Wehrmacht trucks were used right after the war. I thimk that most of them remained in the Wehrmacht livery, because color was the least problem. Take into consideration to build a truck with Holzgasgenerator or Flaschengas. Getting fuel for trucks and cars were a big problem. As a sidenote, Ford Germany resumed production shortly after May,8 1945. I saw an Opel Blitz with Einheitsfahrerhaus in a green-red paintscheme at a vintage truck meeting last year.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw an Opel Blitz with Einheitsfahrerhaus in a green-red paintscheme at a vintage truck meeting last year.

The Mercedes-Benz type L 701 (license-built Opel Blitz 3,6-36 S) was built until 1949 :

The original Opel :

You can check out this thread from a German forum for pre-1950 trucks pics :

http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=46116&threadview=0&hilight=wehrmacht&hilightuser=0&page=1

AFAIK, the Mercedes-Benz L1500S was built between 1941 and 1944.

H.P.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 06:07 AM UTC
Actually working on a Reichpost holtzbrenner VW kastenwagen, courtesy of CMK ... was able to get the conversion parts from them. I know Most of the truck builders were up and running pretty quick. (Magrius introduced the 3000 with air cooled diesel in 49) I want to build a Bussing Nag 5 ton. I'm leaning towards a late war 4500A, but I like the early version with the front bumper with "Bussing Nag" stamped in it. Was thinking of doing it as a DeutcheBahn work truck but I think the rails are too long for the bed. Construction truck with a cement mixer, bricks and pavers, shovels, etc....? Merci, Frenchie. I'll check that site out in a little while.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:11 AM UTC
A series of books about the 2nd life of Military vehicles in Europe was published by Frituur Zorro ( # 2 reviewed in Sept 2011 ) , IRC they have 4 volumes now but I believe the first 2 are OOP .
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:33 PM UTC
One should understand that immediate after the ending of WW2 the German economy was down on its knees completely (as it was the case in many European countries).
Enterprises had to restart and new ones used the momentum of the enormous possibilties peace brought. The Marshall support plan was a big help. So, all together, plenty ideas, enormous challenges, but hardly any proper tools to start with. Therefore the surplus of the various armies, both Axis and Allied, were sourced for usable equipment. Trucks, engineeringing machines like bulldozers etc. were released from their army duties and went into civil hands. Not seldomly in the same status as their military life. All following the motto "if it works, it works!". However: to make yourself known as an entrepreneur you have to differentiate from the rest. So repainting started (Miniart's MB 1500S as a good example).
Being from the mid 50-ties I can remember mixes of US halftracks with cranes or draglines on it and GMC tippers, painted in the colours of well known construction cies. Ex-army trucks in civil outfit drove around until the end of the 60ies.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Construction truck with a cement mixer, bricks and pavers, shovels, etc....?

This Mercedes-Benz L4500 is towing a trailer-mounted bitumen mixer :

Bussing-Nag with crane in new owner's hands in Berlin. I'm not sure whether the pictured truck is a postwar one or not, but the crane looks like a WW2 one... :

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One should understand that immediate after the ending of WW2 the German economy was down on its knees completely (as it was the case in many European countries).
Enterprises had to restart and new ones used the momentum of the enormous possibilties peace brought. The Marshall support plan was a big help. So, all together, plenty ideas, enormous challenges, but hardly any proper tools to start with. Therefore the surplus of the various armies, both Axis and Allied, were sourced for usable equipment. Trucks, engineeringing machines like bulldozers etc. were released from their army duties and went into civil hands. Not seldomly in the same status as their military life. All following the motto "if it works, it works!". However: to make yourself known as an entrepreneur you have to differentiate from the rest. So repainting started (Miniart's MB 1500S as a good example).
Being from the mid 50-ties I can remember mixes of US halftracks with cranes or draglines on it and GMC tippers, painted in the colours of well known construction cies. Ex-army trucks in civil outfit drove around until the end of the 60ies.

In Sweden we also bought and used war surplus, both in the Swedish armed forces and in civil use. Especially the US made trucks were used but also some tracked vehicles and jeeps.
/ Robin
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 01:03 AM UTC
Here's a Büssing-Nag 502 in Berlin, circa 1946-47 :

and a Krupp LD 6.5 N 242 :

Another Büssing-Nag in 1949 (Type 500 ?) :

Converted Büssing-Nag dump truck :

Hanomag SS-100 :

Mercedes L4500 in 1951 :

What about a Diamond T fitted with a Büssing-Nag radiator ?

H.P.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 12:09 AM UTC
Feuerwehr Steyr :

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP