Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon MBT-70 question.......
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 - 12:40 AM UTC
I am building the Dragon MBT-70 at the moment.Actually its the German version, but, I digress. Question.....on the rear deck, in what I take is supposed to represent a grill or vent, is a hole. Now this hole was a deliberate move in the molding and even shows on the diagrams. I can find no direction any where as to what it is or what is supposed to fit into it. With the turret sited forward the bustle covers it, BUT, it makes me crazy every time I look at it. ANYONE have any idea what it is for ?????
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hi, Swede.

Not a clue. In Walter Spielbergers "From Half-Track to Leopard 2" there are drawings of the hull interior components for both the early and later models, but there is nothing shown under that grill. Don't know why it's there, or what the hole might be for.

I'm as curious as you.

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 - 06:16 PM UTC
Good question! The hole is in an oval piece of treadplate on the kit, which suggests it is a classic museum patch-repair to hide a missing access hatch that was simply copied by the model-makers. From Joe's diagram of the "early" model it seems there is what might be a round filler neck in the correct spot, just behind the air filter (5). The same round item is also on the "late" version. Oil dipstick, perhaps?
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 01:55 AM UTC
Thanks guys!! It is on the diagrams but there it stops!! Not really important but it was worrying me as I was wondering what I was NOT seeing for the build! Appreciate your feedback. Was going to query Dragon but already pissed with them over a missing part that they told me to "Screw off" about. Happy building to you both !!!!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys!! It is on the diagrams but there it stops!! Not really important but it was worrying me as I was wondering what I was NOT seeing for the build! Appreciate your feedback. Was going to query Dragon but already pissed with them over a missing part that they told me to "Screw off" about. Happy building to you both !!!!

I seriously doubt you'd get an answer anyway. Dragon accuracy seems to have fallen off in the last few years, and I'm sure thier Customer Service department wouldnt have a clue what the item represents. Thier customer service has never been on a level of other manufacturers anyway (I worked in a LHS, and experienced this first hand). And they don't seem to be concerned with accuracy in their kits much anymore. There was a time I'd buy a Dragon kit sight unseen, just because of the name-- it was commensurate with quality. But today, I read the reviews before considering a Dragon kit.
VR, Russ
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 04:32 AM UTC
Best shot I have of the Munster example, if it helps?

Edit - forgot I have photos of the Koblenz one as well, it's slightly different:

Jim
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 02:31 AM UTC
Well here's another stumper....between the Flicker albums, one shot at Munster and the other at Koblenz, the 20mm is totally different as displayed. In one, the gun faces forward but what I assume is an electric motor is on top of the gun. In the other, its facing forward but the motor is on the bottom of the gun. The turret appears to be turned to the rear in the shot with the motor at the top of the gun. Am seeing the gun over on its back with the motor on top? That is a real confusing way to display the vehicle.
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 02:33 AM UTC
The Munster vehicle has what looks like that pad tha'ts on the Dragon model, the other vehicle does not appear to have the same thing.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 03:38 AM UTC
Yep - the Munster 20mm gun is flipped over on its back if I recall correctly. And there are different detail parts missing from each example (ammo feeds etc) so they do look different in the walkarounds. The tub for the 20mm is also lacking on the model - I had to make the tub walls out of plastic card on mine to block the view into the empty turret.
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 07:40 AM UTC
Tom, thanks for the confirmation on the 20! I'm now working on making the 20 and compartment better visually. Closed up the compartment. Put the heavier weld lines on the main gun area and around all four of the lift points on the turret. The 20's tub also will need weld lines. I am also trying to find out the width of the rear mud flaps on the Leopard. Leopard Workshop has a replacement set available that seems to be identical to the set on the KPZ. Could scratch but this would save some time. Have a good night ....
 _GOTOTOP