Hosted by Darren Baker
Steyr RSO Tracks Query ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 03:16 AM UTC
Were the tracks on the German Steyr Raupenschlepper Ost (RSO) identical (or similar) to those used on any other tracked vehicle? The reason I ask is that I have a 1/72-scale kit of the RSO. The tracks are photo-etched brass, and I would prefer to use one-piece vinyl or link-and-length plastic versions; maybe I can use ones from another kit in my collection of unmade models ... just a thought.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Were the tracks on the German Steyr Raupenschlepper Ost (RSO) identical (or similar) to those used on any other tracked vehicle? The reason I ask is that I have a 1/72-scale kit of the RSO. The tracks are photo-etched brass, and I would prefer to use one-piece vinyl or link-and-length plastic versions; maybe I can use ones from another kit in my collection of unmade models ... just a thought.

I believe they were unique to that vehicle.
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 12:20 AM UTC
Which is a bummer. I would love to have a large scale RSO. The tracks are the stumbling block.
smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 01:34 AM UTC
Why would the tracks be a stumbling block for a large scale RSO? In 1/35 you can choose which RSO type to build, with dragon giving you magic tracks, and aftermarket ones being available in resin and metal.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 03:32 AM UTC
I suppose I could get away with modifying Hetzer tracks to fit the RSO. They appear to be similar, and would probably work in small-scale. Given that the model will be incorporated in a winter setting, the tracks will be treated to a liberal covering of mud and snow!
 _GOTOTOP