Hosted by Darren Baker
Back-dated M1A2
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 10:03 AM UTC
I'm in the process of back-dating the Fyhawk 1/72 M1A2 to an M1A1. The subject is "California Dreaming" no.1 tank of 2nd Platoon, C Company of the 1-64 during the drive to Baghdad. Revell makes an OK M1A1, but Flyhawk's Abrams is much better, so I used the commander's cupola from Revell, and scratched the rest - some locally made water container bins on the turret side, an extension to the turret bustle basket, a spare exhaust deflector stowed on the turret side, towing bars on the rear, and the early .50 cal mount. Decals are from Echelon:

Comments? Likes..dislikes?
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in the process of back-dating the Fyhawk 1/72 M1A2 to an M1A1. The subject is "California Dreaming" no.1 tank of 2nd Platoon, C Company of the 1-64 during the drive to Baghdad. Revell makes an OK M1A1, but Flyhawk's Abrams is much better, so I used the commander's cupola from Revell, and scratched the rest - some locally made water container bins on the turret side, an extension to the turret bustle basket, a spare exhaust deflector stowed on the turret side, towing bars on the rear, and the early .50 cal mount. Decals are from Echelon:

Comments? Likes..dislikes?

You forgot the the bustle rack mounted APU
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You forgot the the bustle rack mounted APU

I guess you mean the EAPU. It's not there for the very good reason that it's NOT supposed to be there! Most M1A1's of C Company weren't fitted with them..."California Dreaming" certainly did not. However, company commander's tank, "Crusader ll", did. Keep in mind this dates from April (3), 2003.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess you mean the EAPU. It's not there for the very good reason that it's NOT supposed to be there! Most M1A1's of C Company weren't fitted with them..."California Dreaming" certainly did not. However, company commander's tank, "Crusader ll", did. Keep in mind this dates from April (3), 2003.

Good answer as that is the right one. Most EAPUs in TF 1-64 were inoperative, so they were left in Kuwait.

A couple of comments since you asked: the Tank Commander's .50 caliber MG seems to be mounted a bit high, I don't believe that the 3ID tanks in 2003 had the external commo and slave receptacle boxes mounted on the rear of the hull, and finally I would recommend that you repaint rust on the tracks to tan or steel color as those tanks were in motion from 20 March to 8 April.

That all being said, you did a nice job on the kit. Did the M1A1 specific parts come in the Flyhawk kit??

John
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did the M1A1 specific parts come in the Flyhawk kit??

John

The Flyhawk kit is strictly M1A2. The original commander's cupola came from the Revell M1A1. The rest of the specific parts were scratched, according to period photos.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 11:58 AM UTC
Biggles2,
"Crusader II," C65, was not the commanders, but the XO's track. The CO's track was C66, "Courtesy Of The Red, White and Blue," according the the order of march provided to us by the unit. below photo is of my vehicle I built taken at the 3rd ID museum.

After I finish the S3's track for Thunder Run, I will be working on C65, "California Dreaming", which is C21, for the museum. It did not have the Apu in the bustle rack.

And to 2nd what John said, take off the slave receptacle and phone box off the right rear.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Biggles2,
"Crusader II," C65, was not the commanders, but the XO's track.
And to 2nd what John said, take off the slave receptacle and phone box off the right rear.

I should have called it "Headquarters tank". As for the other items, it's too late to remove them as everything is painted and decaled. Unless I cover the blank space with stowage. But it's an odd spot to hang something.
 _GOTOTOP