_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Trumpeters T-90 SA? Opinions? Good/Bad?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 07:44 PM UTC
Trying to decide if I want to buy one of these kits or not.
Trumpeter 05563.
My favourite plastic dealer has them at a good (i.e. low) price ...
/ Robin
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 07:58 PM UTC
Also interested in the answer to this I've been seeing the thing in our LHS at a reasonable price. Isn't it a version of the T-90 exported to the Algerians? If the other T-90s of Trumpeter are any indication, this also builds into a good model... lots of parts though (which has turned me off and is encouraging me to get the Meng kit instead).
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 09:31 PM UTC
From what I understand it is an export version of the T-90. What the differences are I don't really know but I suspect thing like electronics, fire control system, etc. I built the kit a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good. Some small parts that are fiddly but nothing some experience can't handle.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 11:56 PM UTC
I built it a couple of years back and thought it was very nice. It comes with the air conditioner replacing the gunners turret bin so I scratched all of the pipework for it. There is also a boatload of work to do with the PE anti radiation fasteners but they look really good once complete.

Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Max
What brand of paints and colours did you use for your T-90SA?
Tony
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Tony,

I used Vallejo 71.075 Ivory, Tamiya XF 60 Dark Yellow and Vallejo 70.843 Cork Brown lightened a little. It looks very stark against each other until you weather it and it all blends together.

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

First let Me say; Its going to be more of A personal choice,as I like Both Trumpeter, & Meng !! Trumpy's kit has more detail overall like PE etc; which if you like working with Tiny etch is o.k. ! IMHO the Turret on the Trumpy kit is its Weak point, as there is No Direct lock point on the Side Armor panels to align on the side of the turret, also the turret itself has no lock point that connects to the Hull, so one must take care as the turret falls off very easy. Trumpy's plastic in certain areas is A little thick, and other than that the only area which can be diffacult is the clear parts for the periscopes etc; ! Meng's kit which is A T-90; Is not the "S" or "SA" !! Tiger Model with there T-90S is more Comparable to Trumpy's kit; While not as complex as Trumpeter, I like just A Lil-Bit-Better !!
So; Overall, Trumpeter is your choice if you like Complexity, Level of Detail, and Lots of PE !!!!!
Meng, & TM; if you like Detail and Less PE !

CHEERS; MIKE,
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thanks Max. The Tamiya Dark Yellow looks kind of greenish.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 05:22 AM UTC
For what it may be worth (little, I suppose! )... Meng's kits are of the T-90 and the T-90A, while Trumpy's SA is... the SA version. Which is an export-version T-90A with some technical and sight-related down-grades (mostly not externally visible) as sold primarily to Algeria (hence the requested AC unit).

The T-90A and SA feature the welded turret, whereas the original T-90 features the old cast turret. BIG visible difference, there. Both Trumpy and Meng have kitted the T-90 with its cast turret. Both have kitted the T-90A welded turret, too. Tiger Model has NOT kitted either a T-90 nor a T-90A, nor a T-90SA.

Both Trumpy AND Tiger Model have kitted 2 versions of the updated / modernized T-90MS - which has the welded turret with rather different turret add-ons and features, and lots of hull mods, too.. Overall, a rather really different-looking tank from any T-90 / 90A / 90MS. Those Tiger kits are super, too!

So... The Trumpy T-90SA is most similar to the Trumpy and Meng T-90A kits. You should avoid comparing Trumpy's T-90SA to anything other than those 2 kits. I have both T-90A kits - slightly prefer the Trumpy as it has a few finer / crisper detail areas, but both are full and stunning styrene monsters. However, the SA lacks the Shtora devices and adds on the AC and a couple other "Africanized" details. Trumpy's T-90A and T-90SA kits feature the molded-on "Nadboy" anti-rad shielding detailed with adding on oodles of tiny PE retainer washers - Very cool, VERY tedious. Meng's T-90A has the Nadboy shielding w washers molded onto the turret, so much simpler build. But looks GREAT! So... Want an "SA"? Buy Trumpy's and you will do fine!

As for the Trumpy and Meng T-90 kits (have both of these, too )...

The big difference lies mostly in the turret treatment... Trumpy's -90 has the "Nadboy" anti-rad shielding molded to the turret (and upper hull), and has you add on 218 or so tiny PE discs for the attachment washers - like with their T-90A. Very cool-looking, and VERY tedious. Meng has you add on the Nadboy stuff, in neat molded sections complete with "washers" (and they look really nice, too!). Easier assembly. And note that those discs are, in real life, largely filled in with layers of paint, so... But, with Trumpy, you will "Know that they are there"! Meng, on the other hand, gives you the neatest little LED lights for those Shtora units (and does a slightly more accurate job on those units), AND provides you with the optional tank-dozer blade... SUPER COOL! I don't think that you can go wrong with either kit, but if you can get the Meng T-90 for the same cost as the Trumpy kit... DO SO! Meng's T-90 kit is like their "BPMT Terminator" kit - great for the subject AND super "bonus" bits = huge value!

For what it may be worth! 1c? 2?

Cheers! Bob
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:19 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the answers! I'll ask my wallet about the final decision
Cheers / Robin