_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Rye Field Panther Ausf G Issue
howsthat1959
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 12:27 AM UTC
The Rye Field Panther Ausf G has what I believe to be misleading "advertising" about the types of wheels:

"Be built as early type or late type Suspension is movable
Optional rubber rim type wheels or 800mm steel type.
Includes marking options to build one of three types."

Actually, all the wheels are the rubber type except one set of steel wheels (to add as an at the field repair) and two sets of rubber wheels where the tires are separate. So the kit can not be built with full steel or full rubber wheels.

More annoying is the implication that ALL the rubber wheels have separate tires. If I knew I had to mask all those wheels, I wouldn't have purchased the kit.

And who knows what those two rubber wheels are for. There's no mention of where the assemblies would go and it would be stupid to have two sets with rubber and the rest painted.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 01:05 AM UTC
Ummm...
Looking at the sprue images at PMMS, here:
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/ryefieldmodel/rm5016.html
I see 4 sets of inner wheels and 4 sets of outer wheels on sprue C. Since there are two sprue C this makes a complete set of rubber tired road wheels, 2x4 inner wheels and 2x4 outer wheels.
On sprue X (attached to sprue E) there is steel wheel (two discs) and one which looks like a rubberless rubber tired wheel.
With two times sprue X there is steel wheels for two axles and the other one for two axles. There is also a single wheel disc on this sprue which could be a spare (two in total).

/ Robin
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 02:23 AM UTC
...so I guess you won't be building any early/mid Tiger 1's then
howsthat1959
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
All true but the description of kit by Rye implied there was a set of complete steel or complete rubber road wheels, not just a few steel. And the advertisement implied ALL the rubber wheels had separate tires, not just two. I didn't see any pix of the parts sprues before I purchased the kit.
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 06:31 AM UTC
They implied "a set", not "a full set/full set" on yhe box.

Not siding with RFM here. But it's sure as confusing as hell. If you check the kit before purchasing (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10510333), the build option is for some 1945 Panther with the rear steel road wheel while the rest are normal rubber road wheel type. It is accurate what they do, but still misleading nonetheless.

Btw, I checked on most of the media/store (even with waybackmachine in case they change the descriptions), I don't see any:

"Includes marking options to build one of three types" is true, but nothing about the other 2 statements you give.

Edit: in case you don't want the kit, drop it to me. 8D
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hi,
Lending my zwei pfennig here. This may work, then again...

If you have the steel-wheeled Panther version from Dragon, try and cobble those to see if they work.

I purchased this kit and absolutely love it.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 11:49 AM UTC
It's my understanding that the wheels with separate rubber are for use in a diorama, like the track installation tool.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 06:10 PM UTC
Lost in translation. With this company's poor overall grammar it is not wise to take anything in their copy at face value. It's always best to look at all the sprue pictures before purchasing to make sure it is understood what they mean. The word use is vague enough in English to allow both interpretations but with transliteration what is MEANT Isn't always exactly what is SAID

It might make perfect sense as "partial " versus "complete " sets of road wheels in Chinese but that connotation was probably totally lost in translation.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 07:01 PM UTC
If we read this quite literally:

"Be built as early type or late type": Is valid according to the review at PMMS. OK
"Suspension is movable": Torsion bars with swing arms provided as separate parts. OK
"Optional rubber rim type wheels or 800mm steel type": Open to interpretation. Two steel wheels is technically plural so the plural form of 'wheel' is semantically correct even if I would understand this to mean a complete set of steel wheels and not just two , one per side. Correctness can be argued.
"Includes marking options to build one of three types" Three options are provided, two of these with a steel wheel on the first road wheel station.

The statement that the kit can not be built with only rubber tired wheels (see original post: "So the kit can not be built with full steel or full rubber wheels.") is not correct. The kit can be built with all rubber but only two wheels can be replaced with steel wheels.

How many wheels are in "a set of 800 mm steel road wheels"

This image is misleading, I see it as if all wheels have separate rubber. I would not buy since I do not trust the "rubber" to last as long as the styrene and rubber turning to sticky goo after a few years is not my idea of fun ...

/ Robin
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:05 PM UTC
Have to agree that that pic is misleading into thinking that all the roadwheels have separate rubber.

In regards to the 800mm steel roadwheels, here is what the book: "Germany's Panther Tank: The Quest for Combat Supremacy", by Thomas L. Jentz (the author for the Panzer Tracts), Page 96, para. 5.3.17, says the following:

"In September 1944, M.A.N. outfitted a limited series of Panthers (Fgst.Nr. 121032 to 121055 identified) with Gummigefederten Stahilaufrollen (steel roadwheels with internal rubber bushing).......As revealed by drawing number (021 D 50204) these roadwheels were originally designed for the Panther II......

Steel-tyred roadwheels were mounted on the last station on several Panthers completed by M.A.N. in March/April 1945. It is not known if this was due to a shortage of rubber-tyred roadwheels or installed as an attempt to reduce roadwheel failure."

So, there were only 23 Panthers built with all steel roadwheels. I'm guessing that RFM isn't targeting these few tanks in their kit version.

Only 102 total were produced in March 1945. Only some of these had the single steel roadwheel installed.
howsthat1959
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 11:40 PM UTC
Obviously I misled myself about the kit's wheels. Never had a problem with rubber tires on car and plane models and it would have been nice to have separate rubber (or modeled plastic) tires so I did not have to use the circle template a couple dozen times to paint the wheels.
 _GOTOTOP