_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurion III turret Q's
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC
I'm building the ancient Tamiya Centurion III for a club group build. With a bit of work this could be an OK kit, ahead of it's time in some ways.(few)
My only reference material has been a few internet sites and I haven't found any real good turret surface shots> Just one old IDF wreck and that one only fills about a quarter of the frame.
My question is, "how rough is the turret and where the turret roof mates to the walls is that weld very pronounced Like a T34 or Sherman or refined?"
Any advice or photos would be a great help !
Thanks much for any info you can share.
Tom
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 02:57 AM UTC
Maybe you have already seen these but I post the link just in case you haven't:
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/scott_tremblay/centurion_iii/index.php?Page=1
/ Robin
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 03:16 AM UTC
This Mk.III walk around may help

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/daryl_nightingale/centurion_mk_iii/index.php?Page=1
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 03:34 AM UTC

That walk around is also labeled Mk 5 when linked from the Battlefield/Armor-page.
I think that the differences on the top of the turret between Mk III and Mk 5 are minor but I am NOT certain about this ...
/ Robin
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hi Tom
You might like to have look at Stephen White's build - though his is an Aussie Mk 5 - http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3931 - lots of actual vehicle shots.
The turret top changed between Mk III & Mk 5 - basically the loaders hatch was turned around, it also affected some of the cable inlets, ventilator & loaders periscope positions. (this was from memory - sometimes fickle)
Mal
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 09:33 AM UTC
The only difference between the Mk 3 and the Mk 5 is the co-ax MG - Besa in the former, .30 Browning in the latter. Turret roof changes are evolutionary and unrelated to the Mark number.

I can think of at least three variations in the roof/turret shell join but when the Mk 3s were built, the roof plate was surrounded by a rain channel.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm building the ancient Tamiya Centurion III for a club group build. With a bit of work this could be an OK kit, ahead of it's time in some ways.(few)
My only reference material has been a few internet sites and I haven't found any real good turret surface shots> Just one old IDF wreck and that one only fills about a quarter of the frame.
My question is, "how rough is the turret and where the turret roof mates to the walls is that weld very pronounced Like a T34 or Sherman or refined?"
Any advice or photos would be a great help !
Thanks much for any info you can share.
Tom

Have a look at this two part photo feature of CENT turrets showing bare turret shells, there is a link to the 1st part in the feature. These are from early mk V Cents of the RAAC, There are also galleries of Aust Cent Mk 5/1
http://www.ammssydney.com/early-centurion-turret-part-2/

Cheers
Al
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 05:26 PM UTC
WOW !!!! I wake up in the morning, flip on the computer and find all these awesome responses. THANK YOU EVERYBODY !!!!
Steven White's mind boggling 1/6th Centurion and the history lesson. WOW !
The Tamiya kit WAS going to be a fast, no brainer build but I think that has all changed.
Thanks to all who responded. People like you are why Armorama is the best modeling site in the world ! A round of virtual beers for everybody !
 _GOTOTOP