_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
T-19 105mm HMC Interior Pics?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:14 AM UTC
Okay all, I need everyone out there to go through your reference book collection and look for an interior photo of the T19 105mm HMC. (just kidding... not)
I'm just looking for a shot of the gun mount in the fighting compartment. I know I'll probably have to scratch one, but without a good photo, I'll have to wing it. I have a few pics of it myself, but they are not very clear. Anything new to the mix will be boon for me.
A million thanks in advance.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC
Ken:

Do you have Hunnicutt's "HALF-TRACK: A History of American Semi-Tracked Vehicles"??

Wal-Mart (of all places) is selling them online: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1130636&cat=20809&type=3&dept=3920&path=0%3A3920%3A18748%3A18756%3A20809

I'm wondering if this tome answers all of our questions?

I'm debating whether to order one or just try to get one through interlibrary loan (remember I'm working on a T30 and have similar questions as you on gun mounts!).
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hunnicutt's book has photos of the interior. Both an early version without gunshield and the later version with gunshield. Pages 112-117. Page 116 even has the 5 view black and white drawings.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
Bob, that is the one book I do not have - damn me. I do have Concord's, Vanguard's, and Squadron's, but no Hunnicutts.

Wal-Mart?! What the? How in the? Hmmm, now I wonder if the $50 price tag will have what I need?
Rob, is there any way in which you could provide a little scanning of said picture? Just a sampling? I would like to see it before I buy it. I have two pictures of the fighting compartment, but they're just too dark for me to make out the details of the mount.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hunnicutt at Walmart!!! Damn. That's less than I paid at A1TecHBooks(who has since raised their prices) for the Bradley book which is a great source for the M113.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=COMBINED_AUTHOR%3A3920&search_query=Hunnicutt%2C+R.+P.

Paul
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
Ken,

Check out this link: http://www.aefdesigns.com/wwii_Images/WWII_Armor.htm.
It is to the AEF web sight. They make a conversion for the Tamiya halftrack. I have seen this conversion and it is pretty good. In fact I have one on order. The only problem is the length of time that it takes to get it. But at $25 compared to the cost of the Hunnicutt book, I can build other models while waiting.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
Dave, I'm well aware of AEF's conversion kit, but having dealt with him in the past, I just don't think I want to go through that again.
Besides, if I do buy the book, I'll have it for all future scratch builds.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
Gotta agree with Ken's assessment of AEF. They were a company with so much promise, but the reliability is still questionable -- even after years of promising to get better. Too bad.

About the Hunnicutt half-track book -- I found out my local library has a copy, so I'm going to check it out today. Depending on what it looks like, I still may pick up a personal copy from the Wal-Mart deal.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob, is there any way in which you could provide a little scanning of said picture? Just a sampling? I would like to see it before I buy it. I have two pictures of the fighting compartment, but they're just too dark for me to make out the details of the mount.

Shouldn't be a problem. It may be the weekend before I get to it though.
Voodoo
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hey Ken,

Can't help you with the picture, but since you guys were discussing books and prices...
I'll post this information on the general board as well, but I've found www.fetchbook.info to be an invaluable tool when looking for information on any book. it's a great source to find the best deal on any book. You can search either by title, author or ISBN number. Just figured you guys might be able to use this handy site in the future.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Ken,
You may check with your local library. If they don't have the book they may be able to get it through the inter library loan service.
Just a thought,
Shaun

Why buy when you can borrow...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Thanks Rob.

And thanks for the tip Voodoo. Where in Florida are you? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale.
Voodoo
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hey Ken,

I'm in Miami, (Kendall area). I decided to get back into modeling kits after a stint in painting led soldiers. I have not put a plastic kit together for about.... I won't say exactly how long, but very long. Actually, think I was 12 when I did my last kit. I think we all regress and want to feel the same exhilaration we felt as kids when we got that first modeling kit at some point in our lives as we get older. I am glad I found this place; everyone is extremely helpful.

Always happy to hear from a fellow Floridian.

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hunnicutt's book has photos of the interior. Both an early version without gunshield and the later version with gunshield. Pages 112-117. Page 116 even has the 5 view black and white drawings.

Rob's assessment is a bit understated -- believe me when I tell you the pics and drawings should answer all your questions. Lots of good shots of the gun mount, so there will be very little guessing.

The pages immediately following the T19 info have what I need for my T30. The in-action photos a little further back in the book gave me ideas for markings as well.

Lots of scratching to do in these conversions, but almost all of it is flat plates. It should be a fun build of a variant not often seen in models. Now that I have the reference, I'll need to make sure I have all the other parts (noticed the tracks are missing from my U.S. halftrack scrap box .... gotta be around here somewhere ... hmmmmm). Saturday is the official start date, but I doubt I'll be sprinting out of the starting blocks.

BTW, also picked up Hunnicutt's "Armored Car" book, so that may also affect my modeling future.

Ken, if some technical glitch somehow prevents Rob from sending you copies of the pages, I can probably help you next week (I'm off for a few days to recover from some minor surgery -- no access to a copier or scanner for about a week).

This is going to be a fun build!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:38 PM UTC
Thanks very much gentlemen. I'll be standing by.
Although by this evening I'll be going nuts to purchase the book....
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC
Ach hemm - clears throat as a subtle reminder.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC
I can e-mail some scans this evening, Ken.

(I got a new toy at home -- a flatbed scanner! This gives me a chance to play with it and help you out!)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:13 PM UTC
Yahoooo! Thanks Bob.

I ordered the one from Walmart only to get an email about an hour later which said it's on back order.
 _GOTOTOP