_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 RFM Panther G Build/Review
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 12:15 AM UTC
I received this kit from Jim and Daren this past Monday for a build/review blog and article. When I saw how big the box was, I thought to myself what did I get myself into?????

A huge box packed with tan plastic! The parts count is as much, if not more than the Hobby Boss HETT kit. What was cool was that the clear turret and hull top cam in it's own box to help protect from scratches and such.

I won't bore you with whats in the box and things like that here in the build blog, but will mainly concentrate on the build and instruction corrections if any.

First thing I did was go through the huge instruction booklet and decide what version I was going to do. I opted for the 1945 version so that way I didn't have to cut a lot of stuff off from the clear turret top.

This build definitely has to be built in several sub assemblies for ease in building and painting. So with that, I hadn't decided how I was going to display the model once finished and started the build where the clear hull top and turret top wouldn't come into play yet. I started with the engine, transmission, and hull bottom.

Step 53 starts the construction for the engine. The engine could be packaged as a model itself with all the parts that make it up. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE CARPET MONSTER during the construction because there are a few small parts. Also take care when removing the hoses from the trees, they are fragile, but a sharp X-Acto knife will make it easier to remove.
All the parts went together well and no putty was needed because all the seams were in natural places and not noticeable. A couple of notes I managed to find out during construction. In step 55, attach the completed muffler(J48, K64, K65) before you attach parts J50, J85 and J74 to prevent breaking the dip stick. Also in this step, leave off the hose, part K30, until Step 58. That way it will align better with part J73 in Step 58.
In Step 59, make sure the completed air filters are going the same way when attached to K69 and K70. Also make sure K69 and K70 are in the right direction as compared to the top of the engine and part K31.

Other than small pieces that can be easily lost, the engine construction went with out any problems.

Need to clean up some seam lines and then I will add some paint to this engine. I will show you what it looks like with paint later tonight when I post next update with the transmission and lower hull.

SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 09:12 PM UTC
Good start, I really like that we have a whole array of new generation Panthers in 2018 but wish that the manufacturers would make 1/35 Jagdtiger's, Jagdpanther's maybe even the venerable Panzer 3 and 4's with full interiors.

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 09:38 PM UTC
Watching this one carefully.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good start, I really like that we have a whole array of new generation Panthers in 2018 but wish that the manufacturers would make 1/35 Jagdtiger's, Jagdpanther's maybe even the venerable Panzer 3 and 4's with full interiors.

I'm with you on this, one can only hope. I think the PZIV interior is the missing link.
jekrott
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 353 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 05:43 AM UTC
God, I would love to see a panzer IV j with interior!That would be my Holy Gral for me
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 12:03 PM UTC
For those interested, the 1945 version of this kit has 1743 parts (+/- a few). The 1944 version should be very similar. The tracks (522) are about 1/3 of the parts count.

It's a sickness, but I always go through the instructions and do a parts count for the version I plan to build. )
adamant
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 01:49 PM UTC
Nice work so far and x4 on a full panzer1V interior!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 03:35 PM UTC
The engine has a dip stick....WOW ! Now that's what I call detail !
Looking awesome so far. I've been thinking about this kit. This build will either freak me out with the 1700+ parts OR set the hook so deep that I rush out and get it.
I'll be following along.
Thanks Pete for your efforts !
Bigred69
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 - 12:13 AM UTC
Nice, I have the kit too, just have to get the courage up to start it.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On a related note, I would love to see manufacturers start coming out with a "hybrid" kit that gives you all the relevant super detail where needed, but not the "full interior" treatment.

The Full interior is cool if you want to go that route, but so much of the work is lost when the tank is finished.

The engine in this thread is a good example. Exquisite detail but almost none of it will be viewable when the finished engine with air filters is in the engine bay and the engine access door opened up.

I'd like to see a different approach to the interior detail where we are given what we need to look right but without the complete detail.

A "faux" engine top for example. We've seen this approach in other forms of modeling, like 1/24 Ferrari sports cars that only give you what you can see through the engine cover, etc.

There should be a middle ground between traditional "absolutely nothing on the inside" and 1,200 part super kits with unbelievable detail that will never be seen!

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:23 AM UTC
Let me say this first, this kit is not for the faint of heart. You really have to sit down and read through the directions several times to get an idea how you want to tackle the build.

First and for most, after building the engine and transmission, I found it very easy to just paint all the sprues Tamiya Red Oxide Surface Primer. Well, at least 80% of the sprues, especially the ones with all the interior parts. Second, paint all the interior parts that are going to be the color Cremeweis. Then build and touch up, build and touch up.

Good thing I found out is that the Tamiya Red Oxide Surface Primer is a very damn good paint. It is Lacquer based and very strong on the parts once dried. I even sprayed the photo etch and the photo etch takes a beating before any of the Primer attempts to come off. I also found that a 50-50 mix of Vallejo 940 Saddle Brown and 957 Flat Red is a very close match to the Tamiya Red Oxide for touch ups.

The color Cremeweis was made from mixing 90% Tamiya X-2 Gloss White and 10% X-57 Buff.

I am not going with the interior color call out in the kit instructions. From what I've read and seen, most of the interior is the Red Oxide, to include engine bay, and the middle of the hull and turret interior is Cremeweis.

Ok, on to the transmission. The transmission consist of steps 36 to 41. A few of the parts a very fragile and small. Take care in step 36, sub step C14 and C15 so you don not break any of the handles and pedals. Oh, before I forget! I didn't do this, but it might be a good idea to place some tape under the photo etch while you cut the parts off, there are very small and easily lost.
As I said, read the instructions over and over to get a good idea on where to build and what you can skip till another step. After doing it, I found that it would have been easier to glue Step 36, sub step C14 at Step 40 and then glue Step 36, sub step C13 and C14 after so that you can get a straight alignment. The rest of the transmission went together well and no putty was needed. All the seams where in naturally hidden places.

Most modelers will be satisfied with the build up to here, but the one who wants to go far and beyond could add the missing hydraulic lines as you can see in these pictures from the internet.

And now for the painted engine and transmission.

And the painted transmission.

Questions and comments always welcome.

Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 04:22 PM UTC
Looks like an excellent kit, which I probably is going to buy
You've done a great job so far, and I'm gonna follow this thread with intrest.
Jacob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 04:55 PM UTC
Pete-- fantastic workmanship as usual!
Great post to follow
DJ
 _GOTOTOP