_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Colors/Markings M752 Lance Ft Sill OK 1980's?
Rob_Owens
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 07:44 PM UTC
My wife (SSG USA, Ret) started her career training as a Lance missile crewman in the early 80's at Ft Sill. I bought the Dragon M752, and would like to paint and mark it as a vehicle she might have actually trained on. Problem is, I want to suprise her, so I can't ask her, an she doesn't have any photos that I could secretly access.

Anyone out there have photos and or knowledge of colors/markings for Ft Sill training vehicles/rounds?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 08:14 PM UTC
Unfortunately, there is no one answer. It depends on when she was there and when they repainted vehicles. The '80s was a time of change between MERDC and 3-color NATO camo, BDUs, Kevlars, etc. all came into use in the mid-'80s as well.

Early in the '80s, they most likely would have still been in MERDC camo. BDUs and M1 Steel pot helmets below.

Later '80s vehicles would have been repainted in 3-color NATO camo. BDUs and Kevlar helmets below, so after about '84/'85.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 08:25 AM UTC
For markings, at some point the right front and left rear bumpers switched from USAFAT to FATC. Battery and vehicle number on the opposite side. I'd go with FATC. Once you surprise her with it it's a simple matter of of asking her for photos or her recollections to complete the markings.
There are also any number of MOS specific veteran forums you can join. most of them always have dudes with photos from the time period you need.
I still remember the piece I first trained on, an M102 named "Amy." And then I met the live Amy a few months later. She hasn't DX'ed me yet.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 09:25 AM UTC
I went through the Lance Missile Course in 1984 and know for sure the equipment (SPL and LT) we trained on were painted in MERDC and we still had the old steel pot helmets with BDU cloth covers. Didn't get kevlars until I got to Germany later that year. I'll have to dig to see if I have any pictures from that time.

Forgot to mention there is a Lance Missile group on Facebook. About 1k members. They’ve posted tons of photographs, maybe something your looking for. If you ask I’m pretty sure someone would help if they can.
Rob_Owens
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 08:23 PM UTC
Thanks for your help, guys! It's very much appreciated!
Regards, Rob
 _GOTOTOP