_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
New Modeler First Diorama Attempt
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi, first time posting on forum, though I’ve spent a lot of time looking. A bit of introduction info: Like everyone else, I built models as a kid. Thought about getting back into it several times, but never did. I’m retired and have a lot of interests, but my main (though intermittent) activity is doing international birding trips. On a trip to southern Chile in late 2016, I found that one of the other participants and I shared an interest in military history. Turned out he was an expert on WW2 German armor. Expert as in having written books, edited a magazine, and traveled the world looking for and at examples. He was also a modeler, and after the trip he sent me a copy of his book on modeling Panzers. I was blown away at the level of detail and workmanship, and knew I had to try my hand at it.
I started out with a couple of WW2 airplanes, then a T34 and a Katusha, and then the Takom Mk1. By this time, I had discovered dioramas, and saw how much they added to model. So, I decided to give it a shot – what’s the worst the that can happen, right? No one has to see your screw-ups…
I’m not too displeased with the result as a first attempt, and I learned a lot in the process. I’m looking forward to the next one. I’d really appreciate any feedback, comments, suggestions, criticism (but go easy on me with the figures, I haven’t done many, and I find them one of the hardest things to do.)
The black and white photo is my attempt at simulating star shell illumination using a single point light source. I’m just glad I didn’t damage or destroy the diorama (or my camera) while working in a near totally darkened room!
I’m going to try to upload photos - the post would be kind of pointless otherwise. If I can’t get it to work, my question then is, how do I?

ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 12:43 AM UTC
It may be my work computer, but I cannot see any of the images.

Also wanted to add a comment so you don't become discouraged. I know how crappy it can feel when a post you make has +100 views and no comments.
Bruc84
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It may be my work computer, but I cannot see any of the images.

Also wanted to add a comment so you don't become discouraged. I know how crappy it can feel when a post you make has +100 views and no comments.

Same for me... be patient with the foto links... wen you get use to it its easy, but i had some problems at first attempt to...
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 01:42 AM UTC
Yeah, it is discouraging, particularly when other posts are getting thousands of views and hundreds of replies, like you're ignored if you don't belong to an established group, or what you're saying isn't interesting or worth responding to. This seems to happen on forums, and I usually end up taking things down after a couple of days. Oh well, I appreciate your response. I had uploaded my photos to the gallery, and I found if you hit the "photo" button you can get to them that way.
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 01:44 AM UTC
My wife works in IT and she could figure it out for me, but she has a bad cold and I don't want to bother her with it. Thanks for responding.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife works in IT and she could figure it out for me, but she has a bad cold and I don't want to bother her with it. Thanks for responding.

Man, those are really good. Like it looks great. I love me some WW1 dio's and this is really good. I have never attempted a figure before and yours look excellent. Great work, man!!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:04 AM UTC
Here are your pics :

I've just opened them in your Kitmaker gallery and right-clicked on them to copy the url...

Nice work BTW !

H.P.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:14 AM UTC
Your diorama looks great! ... Nice photography too BTW!

I most likely did the same as Frenchy, I went to profile and clicked on your Gallery in order to view the images — standard workaround in these parts. Don't become discouraged by view/comment count. Keep up the great work, and once you've got the knack of it, keep on posting.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are your pics :

I've just opened them in your Kitmaker gallery and right-clicked on them to copy the url...

Nice work BTW !

H.P.

Thanks! My post really does make more sense when the accompanying pictures are visible. And get this - about 3 weeks ago my wife and I did a river cruise on the Rhone from Lyon to Avignon! Our first time in France, nice country you got there...
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Man, those are really good. Like it looks great. I love me some WW1 dio's and this is really good. I have never attempted a figure before and yours look excellent. Great work, man!!

Thanks. I've got a FT-17 about 1/3 built and set aside, guess there's another WW1 dio down the road sometime.
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your diorama looks great! ... Nice photography too BTW!

I most likely did the same as Frenchy, I went to profile and clicked on your Gallery in order to view the images — standard workaround in these parts. Don't become discouraged by view/comment count. Keep up the great work, and once you've got the knack of it, keep on posting.

Cheers!🍺
—mike

Thanks! I do a lot of bird photography, and when I got into modeling I got a macro lens for my camera and a (cheap) lighting kit. I actually enjoy the photography part of it.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks. I've got a FT-17 about 1/3 built and set aside, guess there's another WW1 dio down the road sometime.

I can't wait to see it! Count me as a fan!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 03:01 AM UTC
Tim,
Welcome,first of all.
Nice work on the dio and now that I can see the pics,it makes a lot more sense ! Heheheh
As far as the comments vs views on here. It is very common lately so don't get discouraged because you are not getting singled out. I have been posting here for years and these things seem to come and go. Bursts of nice participation followed by tumbleweeds blowing through.
It is what it is buddy ! Keep going and have fun,which is supposed to be the main point after all?
J
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 04:20 AM UTC
Wow, pretty darn good work for your first diorama attempt! Keep it up! If this is your first work, you'll be an "expert" with the second.
VR, Russ
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 04:22 AM UTC
Welcome to the group, Tim! For a first effort you've done a great job both with the model and the photography. Well done, man.
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 04:31 AM UTC
That is pretty impressive work for a first attempt! Great job, I look forward to more of you works. I know it will only keep getting better and better.

-Joseph
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 04:37 AM UTC
Wellcome back to the art

Very nice looking diorama........ looks great!
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 05:05 AM UTC
Very nice, that's good work.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hey Tim welcome – seriously, first dio?? Incredible, you should see mine…well you can’t because I destroyed it, whereas yours would be a contender at any show. I can’t really fault it, looks great – well OK it’s too cramped on the base but maybe you have a storage issue. Many have had initial probs posting images, I sure did - happy to email you screenshots of how I do it (might not be standard procedure but my son helped me out & it works) if you’re still baffled.

Cheers, Tim
ps so what’s next?
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, it is discouraging, particularly when other posts are getting thousands of views and hundreds of replies, like you're ignored if you don't belong to an established group, or what you're saying isn't interesting or worth responding to. This seems to happen on forums, and I usually end up taking things down after a couple of days. Oh well, I appreciate your response. I had uploaded my photos to the gallery, and I found if you hit the "photo" button you can get to them that way.

Damn nice work...wished I was that good my first time out! As far as replies go, not to worry...sometimes I get 'lost in the moment' with admiration alone. It's like going to a museum...no place to leave a comment, but you enjoy the view anyway. On the other hand, as with that museum, not all will like what you produce, so, just be aware there could eventually be that one vitriolic remark towards your work at some point. Other than that, build away! I'm anxious to see what else you do!
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I can't wait to see it! Count me as a fan!

Thanks, but don't hold your breath - I'm working on a 1:32 P-51B, which I'm about to set aside to build a wall mount display cabinet so I have somewhere to put all of this stuff.
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim,
Welcome,first of all.
Nice work on the dio and now that I can see the pics,it makes a lot more sense ! Heheheh
As far as the comments vs views on here. It is very common lately so don't get discouraged because you are not getting singled out. I have been posting here for years and these things seem to come and go. Bursts of nice participation followed by tumbleweeds blowing through.
It is what it is buddy ! Keep going and have fun,which is supposed to be the main point after all?
J

Thanks, that helps me put it in perspective. And yer right, if it isn't (mostly) fun, you shouldn't be doing it.
Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, pretty darn good work for your first diorama attempt! Keep it up! If this is your first work, you'll be an "expert" with the second.
VR, Russ

Thanks. I've found that sometimes when things go good on a first attempt, and then everything goes south the next time, it's harder to deal with. Mistakes are a great teacher...
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim,
Welcome,first of all.

A really nice piece of work!
If this is your first then in a year or two your work is bound to be just incredible.

Tom
J

Terraplane29
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Damn nice work...wished I was that good my first time out! As far as replies go, not to worry...sometimes I get 'lost in the moment' with admiration alone. It's like going to a museum...no place to leave a comment, but you enjoy the view anyway. On the other hand, as with that museum, not all will like what you produce, so, just be aware there could eventually be that one vitriolic remark towards your work at some point. Other than that, build away! I'm anxious to see what else you do!

Thanks. As far as vitriol goes, well, I was in law enforcement for 27 years....
 _GOTOTOP