_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
My 2nd diorama attempt
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hi guys
Please take a look at my 2nd diorama attempt in the Completed Dioramas category, done some time ago. I'd love to have comments from all you Diorama Gurus out there. I'm now working on my 3rd diorama, after a loooong hiatus from modelling (our 1st baby).

Basically it depicts a German squad encountering heavy resistance around a street corner in Poland 1939, and 232 8-Rad has come around to provide fire support. Apart from the vehicle and the modified figures, everything is completely scratchbuilt.

Thanks !
Alan

PS How do I put this 'Poland 1939' as a sub category in the 'Dioramas-Completed Dioramas' main catergory?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:49 PM UTC
welcome aboard and glad that you returned to the hobby. Waiting to see your new work posted
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:10 PM UTC
Floogen, Welcome to the site Nice to see someone who jumps straight in and puts pics of their own work straight away!

O.K. some comments about your dio... For only your second dio, it is truly impressive. Simple idea, nicely executed vehicle, the ruined building is simple but effectiveand the figures although 'stock' are well done and their poses fit in nicely with the overall effect.... Particularly noteworthy is your use of rubble, nice variation in tone and above all, some nice small details, the wires from the telegraph pole are well done, in summary, nice general clutter....

Right, a couple of (very) minor niggles. After all the work you have done, the figures though good, are in my opinion the weakest part of the dio. Not your painting and finishing but rather the basic stock figure. With the work you have done on the building, basework etc. they really deserve something like Wolf figures (for example) . A really silly comment but i'll make it anyway , the chest of drawers in the building is a little clean, the addition of some dust/rubble etc. on top of it could add a little touch of authenticity... If you want to see some examples of the effects of dust, come to my apartment, we have a wide range of dust effects available.....

Nice to see your work, hope to see more of it soon.....Jim
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
Nice work, the composition and execution of all the basic fundamentals are there, really great and have captured my attention. I would have to agree with the previous post, but I would say all in good time, I wouldn't attempt the figure conversions this early not until I was confident. When working with rubble... it is difficult to make it believeable, not that you don't have a great start, but there would be more dust and more rubble in the residence. I try to think of all the work that goes into the building of a real house, and then deconstruct that house or building in my mind to get a feel for the amount of rubble to use, and how to layer the rubble from the ground up. By that I mean how it would fall on the surrondings and how it would interact with furniture for example. Great start keep up the good work you are well on your way.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
Well done. Very nicely executed. The only figure I'd niggle about is the one who took a hit. He needs to be more limp. Other than that I see a lot of great techniques and nice attention to detail.
The AC ID flag doesn't 'do much' for me, but it's a nice touch.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
Ain't that thing amazing? I love it! Good work! BTW, welcome to Armorama!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
jimbrae said it all pretty much. Yes, you might want to take a look at the dresser and give it some badly needed dust. The way it is right now, it almost looks as if someone put it in after the house was destroyed.
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments and ideas guys

Yeah, the clean drawer was actually an oversight...I forgot all about it till the whole dio was completed

The figures were actually built a looong time ago (about 10 years ago!!) when I first started out modelling. They were just lying around collecting dust, so I thought, what heck, lets just cut/modify some heads/arms/legs and recycle them
I'd love to use resin figures...but they are so darn expensive over here (1 US Dollar is about 4 Malaysian Dollars!!) Nuts...I can only afford a few of the older Verlinden figures..heh anyone wanna donate old resin figures to me LOL

If anyone is interested, I'll dig up some pics of my 1st diorama attempt - a Panther G with IR in a forest in Spring 1945

Cheers!
Alan
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:58 PM UTC
Floogen - I like the dio and think it is a superb layout.
I love the detail provided by the rubble,
I humbly suggest a dark wash be allowed to flow between the rubble items to add
"depth" to the pile and graduated lighting to the piles so that it looks "deep"

Superb work!
Keep the pics coming
 _GOTOTOP