_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
So What Is The Truth About The Zvezda BTR-70?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 05:28 AM UTC
I remember reading some time ago that it was an inferior kit, but when I looked up the reviews listed on Scalemates, those reviews were good, if not detailed. So who do I believe?
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Tom;

The BTR-70 is the Old DML kit just re-boxed under the Zvesda label, and when it was released it was part of the Soviet line that they produced starting back in the 1980s. The line included the T-70s,80s the BTRs, & the BRDMs; Now of this line the only somewhat accurate were the BTR-70, BTR-80 and the BRDMs, and the T-70 & T-80 were just to inaccurate !! The BTR-70 & 80 along with the BRDMs were o.k. but required extra effort along with the A.M. detail kits that came later.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 07:54 AM UTC
It is an ok kit. As stated, it is the old DML kit. Besides the gimmicky opening hatches, the kit is also dimensionally incorrect. IIRC it is too narrow and long...not sure.

However, it is a good kit to build overall and will look good when done.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 08:13 AM UTC
While I'm at it I should ask about the DML BRDM-2 which I have in hand. That one any good? What about the (mislabeled) BRDM-3?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 09:32 AM UTC
All of the DML line of soviet vehicles, from their BRDM-2 to the SCUD-B suffer from being produced on information at the end of the Cold War. Meaning they are produced from satellite imagery and estimated blueprints. And older detail and production style.

They are not terrible, like Esci T-55 terrible, but they are getting to be long-in-the-tooth kits. They have more issues with fit, detail, and dimension than contemporary kits. But you can get them for a low price.

Best thing to do is build them for fun. That is what I have done. They look great sitting on a shelf (they certainly look the part) and if you really dig into one and detail it up, you get extra kudos for enhancing a poorer kit.

Hope that helps.
 _GOTOTOP