_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Bronco: DFS 230 B-1
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 06:17 PM UTC

Darren Baker digs into the latest 1/35th scale glider released by Bronco Models, the German Tactical Assault Glider DFS 230 B-1 with Fallschirmjägers.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Szmann
Visit this Community
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:15 AM UTC
Nice review, Darren, and certainly a kit with huge diorama potential. I quite like Bronco kits. However, the Romanian markings are wrong (again!).
Thanks for sharing the news!
Cheers!
Gabriel
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:28 AM UTC
This would make one heck of a big dio! I see Mussolini here or Eben Eamel as possible subjects.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice review, Darren, and certainly a kit with huge diorama potential. I quite like Bronco kits. However, the Romanian markings are wrong (again!).
Thanks for sharing the news!
Cheers!
Gabriel

Please can you elaborate as to the issue.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the Romanian markings are wrong (again!).

I don't know whether you mean that the markings provided for a specific plane, or using Romanian markings in general is wrong, but around 40 DFS-230s were sent to Romania, in which around 30 did see active service between late '43 and April '45.
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:39 PM UTC
The website Preserved Axis Aircraft /German aircraft/ DFS gives a list of all known survivors together with a number of photos

Sk
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 06:51 PM UTC
This should build into nice looking kit. However, it is interesting why they chose to mold internal frame separately. With thick plastic walls of outer shell, you cannot depict damage due to rough landing. I have seen some very thin plastic parts molded by Bronco, so this part layout choice is strange. From the outside, it will look nice, but all the internals will end up bulky, with walls worth the light panzer.
It is shame there is no pilot, although he is on the box art. Ant it includes only 4, while there were 9+1 inside the glider. Plus, if using Dragon figures, why pick ones made 20years ago? I wish they have used gen2 6276 kit. That would be much better choice, if only using 4 figures.
So realy mixed feelings. As gliders are supposed to be simple, exterior is realy simple. So it is up to the interior to raise the bar. Their Horsa is very impressive, maybe i have expected too much?
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:39 PM UTC
With regard to Romanian markings I think outline of cross should be blue, not black and there should also be a white outline to to whole cross also.

http://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/dfs-230-romanian.html

Also seen artwork that shows glider "7" in just RLM71 all over top colour but haven't been able to confirm this.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 04:41 AM UTC
I found a problem with your review Darren. Instead of only having the one sentence formatted as a link to the figure set review, the sentence and entire paragraph under it are formatted as a link.
 _GOTOTOP