Hosted by Darren Baker
'Mobile Camouflage System' Query ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 11:38 AM UTC
I have recently come across a photo of a Challenger 2 'Megatron' equipped with the 'Mobile Camouflage System' (MCS). Unlike the 'Barracuda' system, this appears to be made up of camouflage sheets with a distinctive 'quilted' pattern. Does anyone have any details on the 'MSC'? I am particularly interested in how this could be successfully replicated on a 1/72-scale model. Also, could it be correctly applied to other current AFVs?
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 03:29 PM UTC
I don't believe the covering on "Megatron" is service kit anywhere, at least not yet. Mobile Camouflage System is the name used by Saab for Barracuda attached to tailored vehicle coverings, as distinct from the original Barracuda netting. I suspect this is very much the way of the future. Germany has announced that it will be part of the Leo 2A7 programme, and Ajax has been displayed covered in it. Don't forget that "Megatron" is the Armoured Trials & Development Unit test vehicle and sports several experimental, trials and non-service equipments. The covering is one of these AFAIK. No, I don't know what it actually is.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 05:41 PM UTC
MCS is a thin material, ca. 4mm thick. the outside is covered with camo netting, while the backside has a thermal cover (aluminium/silver color) It can be taylored to the vehicle surface and then attached by velcro patches. Very hard to replicate separatly in any scale.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 05:54 PM UTC
MCS informations
https://saab.com/land/signature-management/force-integrated-systems/mcs_mobile_camouflage_system/
 _GOTOTOP