_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tunisian Tiger
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:15 AM UTC
I have a lead on an Academy "initial" production Tiger kit (13264) for cheap. Am planning on doing it as a sPz Abteilung 501 rig. I have yet to find a review of this kit. (Save for one of those Youtube thingies that shows what's in the box) How good, bad ,or indifferent is the kit? How's it rate to the Dragon Tunisian Tiger?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a lead on an Academy "initial" production Tiger kit (13264) for cheap. Am planning on doing it as a sPz Abteilung 501 rig. I have yet to find a review of this kit. (Save for one of those Youtube thingies that shows what's in the box) How good, bad ,or indifferent is the kit? How's it rate to the Dragon Tunisian Tiger?

There are a lot better "Tiger experts" here than I am, but I do know something about the Academy, Dragon and Rye Field kits. Of the three, Academy is the worst, Rye Field and Dragon are the best, with Dragons being the best. However, you may be lucky to find the Dragon kit at a price point that makes it worthwhile. The Rye Field kit is a really nice kit with link & length tracks, and it has a lot of detail comparable to the Dragon kit. But Tiger "experten" will tell you there are a few incorrect details. I've built all three, and think for the money the Rye Field kit is probably the best, but if you can find a Dragon kit ( and are OK with the Dragon tracks) at a reasonable price, it's the most accurate.
VR, Russ
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:02 AM UTC
Didn't the Academy Tigers suffer from the wrong turret shape, or was that Italeri?

I personally wouldn't buy either considering the alternatives.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:27 AM UTC
That kit (13264) does not build a Tiger of s.Pz.Abt. 501. It builds what we call an "early" Tiger. It would be much more suitable for s.Pz.Abt. 504. It's not what we now call "initial".

David
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That kit (13264) does not build a Tiger of s.Pz.Abt. 501. It builds what we call an "early" Tiger. It would be much more suitable for s.Pz.Abt. 504. It's not what we now call "initial".

David

I would add to David's comments the Academy kit is a lot more "clunky" and "soft" in the details than the Dragon or Rye Feild kits are. And somebody mentioned the Italeri Tiger-- I'd say the same thing for that kit-- it's older and "soft" on the details, although I haven't built it, but I have seen the parts in the box.
VR, Russ
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 01:09 PM UTC
The Italeri kit is not accurate for any version of the Tiger. It mixes and matches several types and the detail is soft, clunky or missing altogether. Unless you are a kid just starting out, it's not worth mentioning as a viable kit. The Academy has similar problems and the tracks are horrible. DML or RFM are really the only viable options. The Tamiya one is OK but needs tweaks to make it a Tunisian version.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Italeri kit...not worth mentioning as a viable kit.

But World of Tanks, bruh! Gotta buy it for the game codes, doooood.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 02:01 PM UTC
How do the Ryefield and Dragon stack up for the 501 Tigers? I know Dragon makes a "131" kit, but I hear that is a later "Early Production " Tiger, not "Initial"
TheLilPeashooter
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Does the codes work for World of Tanks Blitz?
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 03:10 PM UTC
AFV club Tiger is also at the detail level of RFM and Dragon, imo... Though it is kind of expensive.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the codes work for World of Tanks Blitz?

You know, that's another of those "I dl'ed it, but never played it" apps on my phone.

I've been all about PUBG for the past year.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LOL, if any one cares I have codes from both the Sherman and Tiger anyone is more than welcome to have. About as useful to me as the decals sheets that come with.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How do the Ryefield and Dragon stack up for the 501 Tigers? I know Dragon makes a "131" kit, but I hear that is a later "Early Production " Tiger, not "Initial"

Yes, that's true.

I'm biased because I did a lot of design work on it, but I think the Dragon one (6608) is the most accurate by a small margin.
Rye Field tried hard but they made a couple of slip ups... and they had no idea what colour paint to use, though of course that's not a serious problem.

Tamiya have "Africa initial" Tigers in 1/35 and 1/48 but they *really* mixed up the versions and they're difficult to fix.

David
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Some talk about the Italeri Tunisian Tiger and others. I can't vouch for all the other kits but here's Italeri's model:

_GOTOTOP