_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Samofalov GMV 3D printed parts questions
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:51 AM UTC
I would like to convert my Tamiya 1/35 M1025 to the GMV shown below.

Looking at the Samofalov 3D printed front grill parts for the Tamiya 1/35 M1025, would the Samofalov front grill go directly over the Tamiya grill or do I have to cut out the Tamiya grill? Also, could I use the Tamiya headlight lenses on the Samofalov grill? The headlights in the first photo above look like regular lenses where Samofalov lenses look like LED lights.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 05:14 AM UTC
You would have to remove the Tamiya grill. The M1113/M1114 style grill extends back into the engine bay. Notice it is beveled on the back. The grill on these vehicles doesn't open with the hood. A combination of the Tamiya kit and Bronco's M1114 is the best place to start because Tamiya has the better body and the Bronco has the better chassis. You get most of what you need with the exception of the bed sides, doors and the roof. You would also need the Live Resin SAG turret. The one from Shapeways isn't known to print very well.

Regards,

Eric
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks!

I have the Samofalov front grill, rear bumper shelf, bed sides/rear armor and armored doors. I also have the Live Resin SAG turret and weapons.

I also have a partial AEF Designs DUMVEE set which I am using the seats and wheels from. I don't have the correct radio though. I will more than likely keep the doors closed anyway.

Other than that, I will have to scratch build the plate on the frame under the doors and on the bottom. I don't have any reference photos showing the plate on the bottom though so not sure how to scratch build it.

In the photo below I pointed out the plate on the side and on the bottom.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 06:59 AM UTC
You may be interested in my SOF HMMWV walkaround. It contains 784 photos of several different types of gun trucks, variants of GMVs, including those used my MARSOC, and some used by other countries such as Iraqi and Slovenian SF.
For the GMVs it shows roof details not often seen, such as the inverter, and interior armor around the kick plate area.
$16.00 via PayPal.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:06 AM UTC
Terrence, I can vouch for the usefulness of Robert's photos. The set is quite comprehensive. It would really help out a great deal with any parts you would have to scratchbuild.

Regards,

Eric
galactica
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 - 09:44 AM UTC
Terence, I’m on the same project as yours and I can give you the answer about the headlights.
I have not seen any picture of M1113 GMV with led lights; therefore I have discarded the led lights of the Samofalov kit, I have cut the lights from the Tamiya part D18 and glued them to the back of the grill.
The Tamiya lenses then fit the hole in the Samofalov grill.
In the next days I’m going to post a few picture to make what I have done more clear.

twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer Robert, I will pass for now.

Thanks Ettore, looking forward to seeing your build.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You may be interested in my SOF HMMWV walkaround. It contains 784 photos of several different types of gun trucks, variants of GMVs, including those used my MARSOC, and some used by other countries such as Iraqi and Slovenian SF.
For the GMVs it shows roof details not often seen, such as the inverter, and interior armor around the kick plate area.
$16.00 via PayPal.

PM sent
galactica
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terence, I’m on the same project as yours and I can give you the answer about the headlights.
I have not seen any picture of M1113 GMV with led lights; therefore I have discarded the led lights of the Samofalov kit, I have cut the lights from the Tamiya part D18 and glued them to the back of the grill.
The Tamiya lenses then fit the hole in the Samofalov grill.
In the next days I’m going to post a few picture to make what I have done more clear.

Here are some picture of the front grill with headlights.

In the last picture it is amazing to see how many details a macro lens can show that the human eyes don't detect !

twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 08:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I can't see the images. It says I have to log into a Google account to see them.
galactica
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 10:02 AM UTC
I have modified the links to the pictures, please try again now.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 12:46 PM UTC
I can see the images now. Great, thanks! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 01:14 PM UTC
Here is what I did. I filed sparingly around the edge of the Tamiya lens and test fitted it in the 3D printed grill. You don't have to file a lot off for it to fit snugly. If you file too much off the edges of the lens it will slip through the hole on the grill.

When I am ready to insert the lens I will use some G-S Hypo Cement. It dries clear and doesn't fog. It is used for watch crystals so should hold the lens I hope on the 3D printed grill. I have used it for canopies on aircraft and it works well but that is on plastic, not resin so I will have to test it to see if it holds.
 _GOTOTOP