_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF DROID APS question
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 08:51 AM UTC
Was the DROID APS that was used on the Merkava Mk.IID different from the one used on the Mk.IV?

I have the E.T. Model DROID which says for the Merkava Mk.III/IV and the Legend DROID which says for the Merkava Mk.IID/Nagmachon.

The E.T. Model DROID is roughly 1/2 the size of the Legend DROID.

Are they supposed to be different sizes?

Here are the two side by side. Legend on the left.

The first image shows one on the Mk.IID. Second image shows one on the Mk.IV. From the images, they look similar in size.

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 09:00 AM UTC
Just one droid type, the mounting frame at the bottom differs between each vehicle type.
ET models DROID is way underscale.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
All ‘Droids’ are in accordance with IDF’s ‘one-size-fits-all’ policy.

Interestingly, Tiger Model’s late-type Nagmachon doghouse also comes with two ‘Droids’ in different sizes, one being about two third the size of the other.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:53 AM UTC
The ET offering is widely accepted to be underscale. The device itself is the same for all applications. Fully interchangeable and full spares compatibility. It's the mountings that vary. I can't understand why Legend don't just do 1 kit with multiple mounts.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ET offering is widely accepted to be underscale. The device itself is the same for all applications. Fully interchangeable and full spares compatibility. It's the mountings that vary. I can't understand why Legend don't just do 1 kit with multiple mounts.

Propably the cost of the set would be higher if they included all the mounts. This way you can chose which version you need and buy it. The problem is for retailers that they need to stock 3 different product codes.
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies!

I will use the E.T. Model version on a what if I am currently working on.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 03:38 AM UTC
Did anyone figure out what the purpose is of this unit? They aren't issued on a one per tank basis, I find it to be a pretty fascinating subject.

Save the OPSEC comments, if you don't know or don't wish to speculate, so be it. Just curious what the consensus is amoungst us uneducated masses.

My theory is that it's somesort of an ATGM warning system that probably also performs a jamming function but the fact that it's not mounted on every tank is kind of negates this.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 03:44 AM UTC
I have no information but just a couple of speculations:

- First, if you notice it is mostly installed on the first vehicle of every formation, the one that goes always in the front. So they propably think that it is vital for the first vehicle and the others can be protected by this one unit.

- The system is propably an IR jammer, hence the peripheral lenses/IR emitters. There could be a frequency jammers installed but judging by the small size of the equipment installe on the system and the lack of an obvious antenna mount (either peripheral or wip antenna) I doubt it.

Just my 0.02$
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 03:48 AM UTC
I think it works in conjunction with Trophy and the other systems. I have only seen it but n MBTs and hvy APCs. I thought it was a precision locator for tracking incoming threats with jamming capabilities. It does look cool!
 _GOTOTOP