_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DML Panther Ausf D
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi, Just want to pass around the information, DML just released their Panther Ausf D in HK last weekend. Guess no one is surprised about this after the A.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
Very cool,thanks for the news on the Panther Ausf D.Wonder how long it will take to reach North America?
Thanks again.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
Yeah, it's cool, Although I am not a Panther fan, I still got myself one. Just wait for the aftermarket stuff to come out, so I can start to build one. It's kinda funny, I am a big German AFV fan, and build exclusively German WW II armor, but unlike many German AFV builders, I don't have any panther or tiger I in my finished model yet. I heard that these two tanks are guilty for getting people hooked for German AFV modelling... #:-)

For me it's the mighty Panzer IV that hooked me. :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC
This might be a silly question but here goes................
I have a Tiger I (late version ausf E) and the Panther ausf D. Is there any chance these 2 tanks fought together or met. Excuse my ignorance #:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 07:21 PM UTC
I think they are pretty common vehicle of the Wehrmacht, they must met somehow and sometimes during the war. How about Kursk, was both tank had fought there?

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
Both Panthers and Tigers fought at Kursk in July 1943. It was the first time the Panthers saw action. I don't know whether or not the late Tiger would have been there, but it seems the Panther D actually came before the Ausf A (there were, in fact, two Ausf A's, the first of which was a pre-production model). Conceivably, in the confusion of the massive battle, these tanks would have been fighting along side one another.

Nic
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the help. I dont know much about the exact details of conflicts. My reference library has zero books at the moment. I am actually thinking about buying a book on the Kursk. Any suggestions
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Both Panthers and Tigers fought at Kursk in July 1943. It was the first time the Panthers saw action. I don't know whether or not the late Tiger would have been there, but it seems the Panther D actually came before the Ausf A (there were, in fact, two Ausf A's, the first of which was a pre-production model). Conceivably, in the confusion of the massive battle, these tanks would have been fighting along side one another.

Nic

Yeah, German numbering is somewhat confusion on the Panther. Panther D comes out first, then Panther A...
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC
I bought the Tamiya Panther G (Late) a couple of weeks ago,so when the D gets here it will have a stable mate But first I have to finish my Tam Panzer Mk IV H,all this German armour sitting on the shelves means I will have to buy more allied stuff!You know to even things out
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the Tamiya Panther G (Late) a couple of weeks ago,so when the D gets here it will have a stable mate But first I have to finish my Tam Panzer Mk IV H,all this German armour sitting on the shelves means I will have to buy more allied stuff!You know to even things out

Once I finished the Jagdtiger I am building now, I will get a crank at either the A or D, or maybe get myself a Tam Panther G all steel wheel. The Pz IV Ausf H is a great build. Actually it's the first armor model I build after I come back to this hobby and get me hooked ever since. Neah, you don't need Allied stuff, we have to make the German Armor on our shelf grow. I wish I could build all German Armor used in teh WW II in my life time. (When I say life time, I mean the days before I got married.... ) #:-)
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC
To Sarge:
The Panther D served well into 1944, and may well have encountered late model Tiger I's. However, if the late Tiger you wish to display with the Panther D has steel road wheels, bear in mind that these steel wheels weren't installed at the factory on the Tiger I's until Feb 1944. So a steel wheeled Tiger would not have been at Kursk ( Jul 43 ). The Tiger I's production ended in Aug 44, and I have photos of Panther D's in action with the 'Wiking' Division on the Eastern front in Apr/May 44 and with the Panzer-Lehr Divsion on the Western front at approx the same time. There would have been ample time for meetings during this time period.
 _GOTOTOP