_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IJA 11th Tank Regt.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 - 01:11 AM UTC
I read that the 11th Tank Regt. landed some of their Type 95 light tanks on Kiska to earn the honor of the only hostile tanks to land on US soil. (Discounting that National Guard M-60 that terrorized San Diego in 1995.) I'm thinking of trying to build one of their tanks. Which Dragon kit would be close, and what paint scheme / markings would be accurate? (somehow I don't think the normal one wth yellow would work too well in the Aleutians. I seem to remember they were home based in the Kuriles. Not very jungle-ish.)
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 - 03:32 AM UTC
I don't know for certain about which version, but I have seen a photo of other vehicles captured in the Aleutians campaign and the camo pattern included the yellow stripe. It was what was available, and I think the purpose behind it was to break up the pattern against the horizon in any setting.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 - 03:46 AM UTC
Here is a link to a photo of the tank captured.
https://www.pacificwrecks.com/tank/type95-ha-go/aberdeen/1943/kiska-type95-ha-go.html

I haven't been able to find a better resolution image. This is the same tank that was at Aberdeen on display. Lots of images of that. I think it was the early version but I would have to look for my notes.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 - 04:29 AM UTC
A few tanks from a platoon of the 11th Tank Regiment, IJA, landed on the island of Kiska to reinforce the 3rd SNLF (Special Navy Landing Force) of the IJN in June '42. The island was abandoned five weeks later, just before the US counter-attack.
The camo used on the Kuril Islands is irrelevant as the the unit was sent there in February '44, a year and a half after the withdrawal from Kiska Island.

I'm not sure about the exact camo of these tanks during the Aleutian campaign, but IJN tanks received from IJA stocks usually retained their original (IJA) camo, with the Navy ensign or anchor painted on the side of the turret.
One thing seems to be sure though: no HA-GOs were painted in blue-grey as some sources state.

The camo incorporating yellow lines is not a jungle-camo; its first combat appearance was in Manchuria during the Sino-Japanese War in the late '30s.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The camo incorporating yellow lines is not a jungle-camo; its first combat appearance was in Manchuria during the Sino-Japanese War in the late '30s.

FWIW, when looking for info on Japanese markings in the past, I've read sections in two books where both imply/suggest that the yellow wavy lines on the turret and body were a form for aircraft recognition.
 _GOTOTOP