_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
IDF Armor Colors
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

I know this subject has been played out before but I'm looking for more imput here. Currently I"m trying to find a "match" for the current color that the IDF is using right now in current ops. I've been told that LifeColor Makes the Closest match, but from what photos are telling me that isnt the case for stuff starting in 2000 onwards. Heres an exp of what color I'm looking for :

The other is this...but from the photo it looks like its raining out: thus effecting the color

As for the LifeColor Paint (IDF Armor Sand '82) that has been suggested by others, its closer to these two Vechicles here:

and this:

And here is the wildcard, a Magach 6 Batash..looks to be Dark Green with Very coat of dust on it

Any suggestions on the Dark green color? I'm having hard time beliveing its a varation on the film and weathering since theres such a difference between the two colors.

Scott
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 03:41 PM UTC
Aloha Scott,

Thing is IDF colours vary greatly according to use/application/wethering/the elements, not to mention the time of day and existing light conditions. I just sent of a colour special to FSM, which I hope they will accept and print. I have cross referenced all periods, as well as all the major pâint brands to try and do a rather comprehensive, across the board selection. The rule of thumb (left or right!) is if it looks right, it probably is. Personally, I like to add depth to my vehicles by adding "spot color" this is the application of differing hues of oil piant in small thinned touches in order to enhance and render unique the original base coat. This means that no two vehicles have an identical appearence, much as in real life.

Anyways, I hope these ramblings help you.

Captain Jack
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 03:43 PM UTC
Aloha Scott,

Thing is IDF colours vary greatly according to use/application/wethering/the elements, not to mention the time of day and existing light conditions. I just sent of a colour special to FSM, which I hope they will accept and print. I have cross referenced all periods, as well as all the major pâint brands, and included FS references, to try and do a rather comprehensive, across the board selection. The rule of thumb (left or right!) is if it looks right, it probably is. Personally, I like to add depth to my vehicles by adding "spot color" this is the application of differing hues of oil piant in small thinned touches in order to enhance and render unique the original base coat. This means that no two vehicles have an identical appearence, much as in real life. The current colour is often referred to as Khaki drab, a shade slightly darker than IDF Sand Grey, more green Grey in Value. I'll try to post an FS equivalent this week.

Anyways, I hope these ramblings help you.

Captain Jack
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hey Scott
Captainjack's correct, Depending on a whole bunch of variables you'll get different shades on the same vehicle. I still useModel master "Israeli armor san grey (f)" as a base coat. for most vehicles. you can darken or lightern the base to change it to other shades. Some IDF vehicles are sporting an almost tan shade (some hummers) others are darker by far M109s. For the really dark ones I use gungy brown from pollys and lighten down. so I'll reiterate my usual advise choose one vehicle and match to IT. at least that way you'll have a model accurate to at least one pic.Oh yea a selfless plug see some of the different shades Iused on my three fitters in Military modelcraft.

Josh Weingarten
aKa Shiryon
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC
thats what a friend of mine got from IPMS-Israel

current camo (ramallah look)

base: humbrol 84
intense washing with humbrol 98
drybrush, several cotes humbrol 72
sinai campaign

humbrol 066 olive

6 days war

85% humbrol 083
15% humbrol 117
drybrush (humbrol 72)

yom kippur

50% grey green humbrol 092
25% desert buff humbrol 093
25% weiss humbrol 034

lebanon

50% grey (humbrol 164)
20% dark green (humbrol 163)
15% (humbrol 062)
15% (humbrol 121)
or
50% tamiya XF 20
50% tamiya XF 57

hope this helps, werner

ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:08 AM UTC
I concur with the color mixes, basically each track can have a slighty different
color even if they are in the platoon . Hey great pics thanks.

ponysoldier
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 09:14 AM UTC
I used to use Humbrol's Khaki Drill but since it's been hard for me to find it now, I've been using ModelMasters Israeli Armor Sand
 _GOTOTOP