_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
TOS-1 Colors/Camouflage?
V2Phantom
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:36 AM UTC
I build mostly aircraft but recently have grown an interest in modeling armor with a focus on the different missile systems used around the world. I thought I would start with a Modelcollect 1/72 TOS-1. I would like to depict an operational scheme if possible. There are many operational photos of the TOS-1A but few of the TOS-1. The ones I have found seem to be painted for parades or for show. The kit comes with a 3 color camo scheme for the Russian army but the box shows an all green weathered TOS-1 which is not in the kit painting diagrams.
I know the TOS-1 was used in the Chechnya conflict. Would the Russian army used the rather bright 3 color camo at that time or would it have been a more muted weathered green? One grainy video capture from the Chechnya war suggests that the colors were muted, perhaps even the all green scheme. However, it is very difficult to tell as it is a partial head-on shot.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Have fun modeling
Mike
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 02:54 AM UTC
During the wars in Chechnya, a lot of Russian vehicles sported the 3-tone camo. So why not for the TOS?
When I built mine long before Trumpeter released theirs and the TOS-1A entered service, the pictures which were available did show plain green and 3-tone camoed TOS-1. Si it's up to you.

Olivier
V2Phantom
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks Olivier! I was unsure about the 3 tone camo, so your comments are really helpful. It is good to have a choice now that I know that either paint schemes could be correct.
Have fun modeling
Mike
Derevyankin
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:39 PM UTC
Both in Afganistan and in Chechnya TOS-1 had camo paintings but of different patterns.

Afganistan
http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2015/01/blog-post_53.html

Chechnya
V2Phantom
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:51 AM UTC
This is fantastic Dmitry!! I did not know that the camo painting was different. I especially like the weathered look in the TOS-! from Chechnya!

Thank you for the great information!
Have fun modeling
Mike
 _GOTOTOP