_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
At last Shermans with indie links!
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:31 AM UTC
Everyone rejoice!{ok I know some people won't} 2 new kits that actually have indie links instead of rubber or DS bands. All in one box so you don't have to faff about trying to find replacements......

https://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6617

https://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6618

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:40 AM UTC
I prefer rubber band tracks for representing live tracks. I don't see why you would want indi links, if you don't have to represent a sag.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 09:42 AM UTC
No problem with one piece on Shermans or any live track tanks.But yes,I will use indies on any track needing sag.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:28 AM UTC
In my book, hard plastic tracks win over flexible any day.

Links don't bend round idlers and sprockets. Just sayin'

But they are more work - that I'll agree with, so flex still has its place.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:38 AM UTC
It's going to depend upon how they are designed. In the photos it shows end connectors that angle slightly with relation to the track block. (Even highlighted in red) That makes sense going around a sprocket - the angle is divided between the two adjacent blocks. But the photos also seem to show the kit parts as being blocks with end connectors already attached. Unless they give you straight runs and angled ones (highly unlikely) what you end up with around the sprocket and idler is one block with the end connectors in line, and the next at an angle, instead of all being at an angle.
I highly doubt that these have pins like in some of the more complicated sets, or they'd show them.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's going to depend upon how they are designed. In the photos it shows end connectors that angle slightly with relation to the track block. (Even highlighted in red) That makes sense going around a sprocket - the angle is divided between the two adjacent blocks. But the photos also seem to show the kit parts as being blocks with end connectors already attached. Unless they give you straight runs and angled ones (highly unlikely) what you end up with around the sprocket and idler is one block with the end connectors in line, and the next at an angle, instead of all being at an angle.
I highly doubt that these have pins like in some of the more complicated sets, or they'd show them.

A close examination of the links in Dragon's illustrations appears to show that links on top and bottom runs have end connectors molded in place horizonatally, and links that bend around the sprocket and idler wheel have end connectors molded in place at a slight angle. Could be a nice compromise between workable (but fiddly) links, and link and length type tracks.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I prefer rubber band tracks for representing live tracks. I don't see why you would want indi links, if you don't have to represent a sag.

Well I don't like rubber band type tracks anyway. I think they should be consigned to the model kit bin of history but I can see why some people don't think they're necessary for live track plus even I admit indie links can be tedious.

But not only do I dislike rubber band type tracks I just don't think they look right as Nick Turner points out.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 08:55 PM UTC
And based on my experience as a tank crewman constantly doing track maintenance its individual link track can better capture the little gaps and bends of even live track. You can show whether a tank last backed up or went forward by bunching up the track in the right spot and putting in a front or rear sag. You can also imply movement like a turn where one track is tight and the other loose.

Band track is fine for a tank just sitting and I prefer it too but indie track can be a useful alternative. I survived the original Dragon individual link Sherman track and loved how you could imply movement with them with bunching up and sagging but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to put the tracks on and call it a day. It's a hobby not an obsession.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Everyone rejoice!{ok I know some people won't} 2 new kits that actually have indie links instead of rubber or DS bands. All in one box so you don't have to faff about trying to find replacements......

Sorry but DML have released many Shermans with Indy links in the past and they were an utter Pain the Backside. Just what is to be gained on a Sherman with Indy links? they have live track which is generally taut . Indies are great for German and Russian vehicles with "dead" track but very hard to get to look right on a subject like a Sherman, Underneath they are still the old DML M4A1 Kit and only the tracks have changed

Al
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 06:06 AM UTC
I recall that Dragon’s individual link track was not the best design but still my favourite for M4 types is RHPS/Panda, which has separate block and end connectors. It can be assembled without glue, which allows the (minimal but still present) sag to be depicted and then cemented together once positioning is done.

Never used the DS stuff but I saw some unused DS track crumble the other day so it’s not something I’ll be using.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry but DML have released many Shermans with Indy links in the past and they were an utter Pain the Backside. Just what is to be gained on a Sherman with Indy links? they have live track which is generally taut . Indies are great for German and Russian vehicles with "dead" track but very hard to get to look right on a subject like a Sherman, Underneath they are still the old DML M4A1 Kit and only the tracks have changed

Al

They haven't released many apart from 1 or 2 kits years ago. As for what is gained yes they are pretty tedious to make even I admit but as has been pointed out band type tracks don't look very good going round the end sprockets and they can disintigrate over time. Fair enough if you like band type tracks but many people hate them. I suppose the best compromise is to include link and length tracks. That way they're much easier to make but go around the sprockets much more realistically.
 _GOTOTOP