_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Which tanker for a Stryker?
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:50 AM UTC
I am building a Stryker of Trumpeter, 1/35.
It looks an early production one without a particular historical and geographical collocation.
I would add a tanker on the hatch. I have two sets of modern US tankers in my stash: the old Dragon one that depicts tankers of the '90s without the ballistic protection and two-pieces suits, and a set of Miniart with USMC tankers with ballistic protections and what seems a one-piece suit.
Which of these sets is more recommandable for a typical early Stryker?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:16 AM UTC
The Dragon set is kind of dated. The Stryker wasn't fielded until about '04. The uniforms they are wearing are early to mid 1990s.

The USMC tankers will not work as they are wearing USMC-specific gear such as the ballistic vest. USMC does not use the Stryker, only US Army.

Any modern US Army tank/armored crewman will work. Some good options are below.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:22 AM UTC
Always love to give a shout out to Legend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-1-35-Modern-US-Army-Stryker-AFV-Driver-Soldier-Resin-Figure-kit-LF0133-/171028665617
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:30 AM UTC
Strykers are not crewed by tankers, rather by Infantrymen. Today Stryker crews wear ACU in Multicam pattern, body armor and MICH helmets with commo headsets. Despite the new tank crew releases, there is still a big gap in most recent Tank/APC/IFV crews.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:54 AM UTC
I believe the MGS is crewed by Tankers-the 19K series of MOSs.
Dan
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:38 AM UTC
Just to clear something up-- the Stryker was fielded at Fort Lewis Washington in 2003, with a Brigade of the 2nd ID, with some units there being partially equipped for transition as early as 2002. Planning for fielding was being done as early as 1998. It would not have been unusual to see Stryker soldiers wearing BDUs when it was fielded there. I was on the I Corps staff at that time, and did transition work for the NBC Fox integration into the Stryker Brigade. Later, I worked on the NBC Stryker vehicle integration into the Stryker Brigade (NBCRV). Until the Desert BDU came along in preparation for IF, everyone was still wearing BDUs.
VR, Russ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strykers are not crewed by tankers, rather by Infantrymen. Today Stryker crews wear ACU in Multicam pattern, body armor and MICH helmets with commo headsets.

Right, only tanks, MGS, and M3A3 CFV Bradleys are crewed by tankers (19 series MOS). All other US Army tracked vehicles are crewed by other MOSs. I still attest that most Stryker crewmen still wear CVC helmets. Also, the uniforms are not MultiCam, which is a civilian designation. The uniform is still ACU (Army Combat Uniform) in OCP (Operational Camo Pattern) camo, which looks similar to the old Woodland pattern BDUs.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Strykers are not crewed by tankers, rather by Infantrymen. Today Stryker crews wear ACU in Multicam pattern, body armor and MICH helmets with commo headsets.

Right, only tanks, MGS, and M3A3 CFV Bradleys are crewed by tankers (19 series MOS). All other US Army tracked vehicles are crewed by other MOSs. I still attest that most Stryker crewmen still wear CVC helmets. Also, the uniforms are not MultiCam, which is a civilian designation. The uniform is still ACU (Army Combat Uniform) in OCP (Operational Camo Pattern) camo, which looks similar to the old Woodland pattern BDUs.

I agree with Gino that the driver, track vehicle commander and specialized crew all wear CVCs. The guys riding in the back for dismount purposes wear Kevlar. But again "an early Stryker" depends on how early- as the very first Strykers came before the ACU, while the BDU was still the issued uniform and LBE was still the issued equipment. That's what I was wearing when Strykers were on the roads at Fort Lewis and in Yakima in 2003 and 2004. About 2004-2005 we started seeing the new ACU "digital" uniform, and one piece tan/brown coveralls, but they were only issued to selected troops as a test (as well as the "no-polish" suede boot-- you young guys don't know what you're missing!).
VR, Russ
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi,
thank you all for your answers, even if I've posted the question on the wrong forum.
I'm very interested to all your answers, but I have difficulty to understand all the acronyms.
For the transition period around 2004, would an army uniform without ballistic suit, as those of Dragon, painted with woodland camouflage, be acceptable, or have I to buy the Trumpeter set shown above?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the transition period around 2004, would an army uniform without ballistic suit, as those of Dragon, painted with woodland camouflage, be acceptable...

Yes, that would be fine for a very early Stryker.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
thank you all for your answers, even if I've posted the question on the wrong forum.
I'm very interested to all your answers, but I have difficulty to understand all the acronyms.
For the transition period around 2004, would an army uniform without ballistic suit, as those of Dragon, painted with woodland camouflage, be acceptable, or have I to buy the Trumpeter set shown above?

Sorry about the acronyms-- "ACU" is the newer "Army Combat Uniform", which is the gray-pea green shade "digital pattern" with the brown suede boots-- (we had a les complimentary unofficial name for them when they came out, calling them "puke suits" due to the color). "OIF" is Operation Iraqi Freedom. "LBE" is "load bearing equipment"-- the typical web belt and suspenders dating from the late 60s with updates in material and design. "BDUs" are the woodland pattern "Battle Dress Uniform" that was fielded in 1982-3. Versions of which were made in desert and winter patterns. The "NBC Fox" was the " Nuclear, Biological and Chemical" German Fuchs (Fox) amphibious vehicle adopted for US use, well before the Stryker was introduced, and the NBCRV was the Stryker variant which replaced it, before the US Army retitled it as a "CBRNRV"-- "Chemical, Biological, Radiological Recon Vehicle". Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"ACU" is the newer "Army Combat Uniform", which is the gray-pea green shade "digital pattern" with the brown suede boots--

Actually, ACU refers to the style and cut of the uniform. The grey camo is called Universal Camo Pattern (UCP). The newer, Operational Camo Pattern (OCP), which looks like the old woodland pattern, is still an ACU, just with a different camo pattern on it.

Notice the cut is basically the same on the two shirts below.

UCP ACU

OCP ACU

By the way, the grey Universal Camo Pattern was horrible/ I have only seen it work two times. It blends in well with the sand and vegitation at White Sands Missile Range training area, NM.

And with grandma's couch.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi,
thank you for your clarifications. I'll go with the tanker of Dragon and woodland camo.
Considering the timeframe, is such a vehicle with such a tanker likely for the USA territory only, not abroad?
I agree that the digital camo is exceptional on the couch. Pity for the boots...
I need another clarification: the Stryker of Trumpeter includes many external loads as bags etc. Is the combination of loads good for a typical Stryker with an infantry squad in, or is the choice of the kit casual?

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 04:38 AM UTC
The Dragon figure w/o body armor would be good for stateside or a training area in either Germany or Korea. Body armor is always worn in combat zones like Iraq and Afghanistan. Additionally, most Strykers in Iraq and A'stan were fitted with additional armor.

The bags in the Trumpeter kit are only a few and not really enough for a full squad's worth of gear. They would be fine for a short training exercise or to just show how it would look with some bags. Also, the bags are later MOLLE bags that were not used until later when the UCP ACUs came out.
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 05:51 AM UTC
Massimo you got some of the best answers a modeller can get! When I saw the pic of the early camo pattern I was going to comment but the pro's kicked in the great answers! Hats off to Gino too. He was helpful to me some time ago with a M-106 Mortor vehicle that my son was in while in Iraq. This is why Armorama website rules!
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi,
Thank you again for your answers.
Are the bags of the kit of the same type shown on this photo?

The vehicle looks a very early one. The machine gun is as on the kit, with cylindrical end of the barrel. I've seen more recent photos with a conical end and two small flanges and a can for the waste shells on its back.
Regards
Massimo.
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe the MGS is crewed by Tankers-the 19K series of MOSs.
Dan

This was recently changed. They are crewed by 19D's now - scouts not tankers.
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Thank you again for your answers.
Are the bags of the kit of the same type shown on this photo?

The vehicle looks a very early one. The machine gun is as on the kit, with cylindrical end of the barrel. I've seen more recent photos with a conical end and two small flanges and a can for the waste shells on its back.
Regards
Massimo.

These pictures are from when they had the prototypes and I can promise you the guys in the field never had their stuff stowed that neat - also depends on the timeframe you are looking to depict. I would recommend using a combination of the Legend Stryker ICV Stowage set (which gives a great idea of what the stowage looks like during a field problem), and the Legend US Army Soldier Load & Equipment Carrying System MOLLE II Set

There have been some good recommendations for crew figures, and I would like to add a couple of options from Hobby Fan. I used one of these sets below on my Stryker and was pretty pleased. The last ebay link is to a Hobby Fan figure set that includes the rear catch bag for the RWS which is not included in the base kit. Also, we never had smoke grenades loaded during training so this kit provides the flares with the canvas covers on them.

- Ebay links below.

Hope this helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-1-35-M1126-Stryker-ICV-Stowage-Set-for-Trumpeter-Dragon-kits-LF1153/171020732365?epid=1741089811&hash=item27d1a147cd:g:B3MAAMXQd2hRYfG9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-1-35-US-Army-Soldier-Load-Equipment-Carrying-System-MOLLE-II-Set-LF1237/171025336973?epid=1703886331&hash=item27d1e78a8d:g:KLcAAOSwHnFVgbOC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Fan-1-35-Scale-U-S-Stryker-Bridge-OIF-ACU-Crew-2-Resin-Figures-HF-585/142016969102?epid=724060036&hash=item2110def98e:g:GnIAAOSwnFZXVcdb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Fan-1-35-HF-579-US-Stryer-Brigade-OLF-ACU-Infantry-Set-2-2-Figures/222049882978?hash=item33b3345362:g:XAsAAOSwoBtW4lNE

MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi,
very nice resin sets, thank you for the links. But their price exceeds by much that of the kit. My goal is only to decide if and how to use the loads of the kit.
Another question: the photos of the vehicles linked above show blue-purple optics, but I have seen red optics on recent US tanks, including the Strykers. What is the meaning of this different coating, and when was this change made?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another question: the photos of the vehicles linked above show blue-purple optics, but I have seen red optics on recent US tanks, including the Strykers. What is the meaning of this different coating, and when was this change made?

The optics have not changed. They appear blue/purple/red/gold as the angle of view changes. They are coated with an anti-laser coating to protect the eyes of the crewmen looking through them.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 06:31 AM UTC
Interesting. Is there any way to reproduce this changing look on a model?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 08:52 AM UTC
Dupli-Color MIRAGE Color System
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:13 PM UTC
I had a look to the publicity of this method. It gives a beautiful changing look, but it seems very granulous.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had a look to the publicity of this method. It gives a beautiful changing look, but it seems very granulous.

AFV club also makes a stick-on system that does a good job of replicating the effect. It can be cut for various vehicles-- but it's primarily made for the Stryker.
VR, Russ
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:03 AM UTC
Looks interesting. What is the exact commercial name of the thing?
 _GOTOTOP