_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
help please!
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 280 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 11:37 AM UTC
in creating water effect... how do i use clear gloss varnish as medium? do i pour it to my desired depth and let dry or do i apply it in layers?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 03:33 PM UTC
I think using layers is best, if not a MUST. Pooring to much varnish at a time will give you cracks for sure. Those cracks are a pain in the bud to get rid of !

My two cents: Use multiple layers !
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 280 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 03:41 PM UTC
thanks a lot another question, what type of paint will i use to give the water a tint, do i use enamel or laquer paint?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 03:52 PM UTC
that really doesn't matter. Paint a basecoat and let it dry completely. Than add different shades of green / brown (depends on the type of water you try to create) which you put on using the drybrushing techniques.

Maybe you can ask our partners DGeraths and Sarge on this. They did some great aquawork on their dio's

DGeraths pics:
http://photos.lycos.com/PhotoCShare/PhotoAlbum.asp?CG=u2l8namr2oukpalb3tmcp715pk&AID=356733

Sarge's pics:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?set_albumName=albuq22&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Good Luck, and let us know how things worked out !
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:19 PM UTC
Tint with acrylics, there is no associated reactional problem. Also Be sure to cover the suface for at lease 24 - 48 hours to avoid dust accumulation. You can also tint between layers working from darkest tint to aabsolutely clear for the greatest depth effects. Take a look at my Vietnam dio, and others in the Gallery. There I've had recourse to clear casting resing, as the depth levels were deeper. I'm posting a new dio today, called Operation Magistral, based in Afghanistan in 1987, this has water effects as well.

Diorama Jack
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:46 PM UTC
The biggest problem I had to make was the water. I tried a few things and wasnt happy. I was talking to some guys at our local IPMS meeting and they gave me some ideas. In reality, the water did not look as good as this. Its was a bit on the dark side for my liking. I took these photos in the evening as the sun was going down and the sun hit all the right places.
The base was painted black. Then I mixed some dark green oil paint into clear varnish 20%/80% and made 2 coats like this. Then I made ripples from superglue gel and the same dark green oil paint and varnish on top. When this was dry I added another coat of the same. Then 2 coats of of the same but 10% oil/90% varnish. Then 2 coats of clear varnish.
In the sun light or when a light is shone directly onto the water it looks great but otherwise you dont get this full effect.
I have since painted this effect onto the water so it will be seen the same whether in direct light or not. Basically some highlighting/drybrushing of the ripples and another two coats of varnish and a drop of dark green oils. The sun and direct light still work and even enhance it more.
At the end of the day, when you look at a river like this, the colours you see is mostly black, dark greens or dark greys. Its the light and surroundings that give the effect and colour anyway. So its going back to the old modelling arguement of reality or artistic impression.
Check folder "water" at;
http://photos.yahoo.com/frank_glackin
for some pics. I must get some more recent fotos with the painted effects. It turned out quite OK
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:46 PM UTC
The biggest problem I had to make was the water. I tried a few things and wasnt happy. I was talking to some guys at our local IPMS meeting and they gave me some ideas. In reality, the water did not look as good as this. Its was a bit on the dark side for my liking. I took these photos in the evening as the sun was going down and the sun hit all the right places.
The base was painted black. Then I mixed some dark green oil paint into clear varnish 20%/80% and made 2 coats like this. Then I made ripples from superglue gel and the same dark green oil paint and varnish on top. When this was dry I added another coat of the same. Then 2 coats of of the same but 10% oil/90% varnish. Then 2 coats of clear varnish.
In the sun light or when a light is shone directly onto the water it looks great but otherwise you dont get this full effect.
I have since painted this effect onto the water so it will be seen the same whether in direct light or not. Basically some highlighting/drybrushing of the ripples and another two coats of varnish and a drop of dark green oils. The sun and direct light still work and even enhance it more.
At the end of the day, when you look at a river like this, the colours you see is mostly black, dark greens or dark greys. Its the light and surroundings that give the effect and colour anyway. So its going back to the old modelling arguement of reality or artistic impression.
Check folder "water" at;
http://photos.yahoo.com/frank_glackin
for some pics. I must get some more recent fotos with the painted effects. It turned out quite OK
 _GOTOTOP