_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
KV-1 mod 1942 Lightweight Cast Turret
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hey all. I would like to share my WIP KV-1 mod 1942 Lightweight Cast Turret by Trumpeter. My first time doing a muddy running gear on a tank. Have a few more things to paint and retouch - the cables for example and the rust in the exhaust. Would highly appreciate suggestions and constructive criticism. Camera ran out of battery so I just used my phone. Thanks for looking!

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 04:09 AM UTC
Nigel,

Sweet work on your build. Looks like she traveled half way thru Europe.

Mark
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:18 AM UTC
Looks great, Nigel. With the muddy running gear, you might also consider spattering some dirt and mud on the fenders too. Thanks for showing us your KV!
Terry
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:34 AM UTC
I think it looks great, Nigel! Thanks for sharing!

Gaz
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel,

Sweet work on your build. Looks like she traveled half way thru Europe.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I might have overdone the weathering if so - because I don't think these things could even travel a quarter of that distance without breaking down!

Quoted Text

Looks great, Nigel. With the muddy running gear, you might also consider spattering some dirt and mud on the fenders too. Thanks for showing us your KV!
Terry

Thanks Terry! Yup, I'll try to add juuuust a bit of mud and dirty on the fenders to blend everything in. I've been a bit scared to add some weathering on the hull in fear of obscuring some of the details and previous weathering.

Quoted Text

I think it looks great, Nigel! Thanks for sharing!

Gaz

Thanks mate, really appreciate it
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:52 AM UTC
In addition to the other suggestions, may I also suggest she may be a wee bit too shiny overall? After the mud and upper spattering, unless it's supposed to be freshly wet, then at least the upper surfaces really should be flatter. If the mud is supposed to be wet, then getting glossier towards the bottom makes good sense and adds a sense of life to the piece.

Other than that, it looks really nice.

Paul
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In addition to the other suggestions, may I also suggest she may be a wee bit too shiny overall? After the mud and upper spattering, unless it's supposed to be freshly wet, then at least the upper surfaces really should be flatter. If the mud is supposed to be wet, then getting glossier towards the bottom makes good sense and adds a sense of life to the piece.

Other than that, it looks really nice.

Paul

Thanks for the tip mate. Yeah, I only belately noticed that the Vallejo mud line of products dried gloss. I'm thinking of adding one final light layer of european mud mixed with vallejo matt varnish to dull the mud on the hull sides and give it the appearance of old mud. Hope that works.

(Does anyone have experience with the vallejo mud line who can chip in?)
 _GOTOTOP