_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to tell which side mirror tracks go on?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi all,

Wow, do I feel stupid asking this question...but I need to know. I have a couple sets of Fruil mirror tracks for the initial Tiger I tanks. However, I simply don't know how to tell which side the tracks are supposed to go on. Is it as simple as just putting the tracks on the 'inside'? Does it matter which direction the treads go? I can't ever see a difference, but that doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist. Can anyone please help me?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 05:20 AM UTC
Curt;

I would take a close look at some photos and see which way the link-details orient on the "real things" - typically, Tiger "mirrored" tracks had the link "spade" on the lead edge on both sides as the tank moved forward. "Non-Mirrored sets" would have the "spade" forward on the left, but spade to the rear on the right (or maybe the other way?? in any case, one run going "forward", 1 reversed.) I suspect that there may have been some "manual instruction" that said something like "left runs forward!", but... :-)

If we were talking transport tracks - as the links have no asymmetrical extension to the outside, both runs could be put on using the same run-direction with simply inserting track pins from the opposite sides as needed. I would suppose that some of these transport tracks were installed "reversed", and in some cases runs may have run opposite directions on a tank, as there would have been no real need to put them on one way or the other.

Cheers! Bob
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 07:06 AM UTC
If you mean Friul ATL-116, there's a photo on the front of the packet that shows how they are directed.

David
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 11:38 AM UTC
Should be two guide horns they face inside, the big faces out.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Curt;

I would take a close look at some photos and see which way the link-details orient on the "real things" - typically, Tiger "mirrored" tracks had the link "spade" on the lead edge on both sides as the tank moved forward. "Non-Mirrored sets" would have the "spade" forward on the left, but spade to the rear on the right (or maybe the other way?? in any case, one run going "forward", 1 reversed.) I suspect that there may have been some "manual instruction" that said something like "left runs forward!", but... :-)

If we were talking transport tracks - as the links have no asymmetrical extension to the outside, both runs could be put on using the same run-direction with simply inserting track pins from the opposite sides as needed. I would suppose that some of these transport tracks were installed "reversed", and in some cases runs may have run opposite directions on a tank, as there would have been no real need to put them on one way or the other.

Cheers! Bob

Bob,

When you are referring to the 'spade', I presume you are talking about the 'male' parts of the link; if so, that matches the description that David Byrden pointed out about the front picture on the Fruil ATL-116 tracks (which is indeed the tracks that I have and will be using). I think this points the way I need to orient the tracks...thanks to all of you!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Curt;

Cheers! Bob

Bob,

When you are referring to the 'spade', I presume you are talking about the 'male' parts of the link; if so, that matches the description that David Byrden pointed out about the front picture on the Fruil ATL-116 tracks (which is indeed the tracks that I have and will be using). I think this points the way I need to orient the tracks...thanks to all of you!

Curt; Nomenclature will catch up with all of us at one point or another! What I ref'd as the link "spade" - the raised part which forms the actual link-surface contact area and which on German WWII track links provides grip on ice (so, a sort of "ice crampon" or cleat) - is also called the "spud" in some labeled diagrams! In any case, German practices were to mount symmetrical-link tracks which had such "spuds" (Pz III/IV, Panthers, Tigers I and II transports, etc.) so that the spud-edge of links led and hit the ground first as the tank rolled forward. The "spud" defines the link "front edge" and directionality of the (symmetrical link) track when one says a track is running "correctly" or "reversed". When links are asymmetrical, such as Tiger links with extensions beyond the sprocket tooth-holes on one side, the links can of course only go on "extension outward", regardless of where that spud falls. I am sure that you have your orientation right!

Bob
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC
A picture is worth ten thousand words. Mirrored Initial type tracks:

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 06:44 AM UTC
The photo does not show "mirrored" tracks. The tracks on that tank contain identical links on both sides.

The Friul packet shows "mirrored" tracks in the correct orientation. It has "right" and "left" links.

David
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:05 AM UTC
I saw that after I posted. For some reason, it won't delete when I try to edit.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 08:47 PM UTC
Here are the mirror tracks shown in the instructions from the Dragon Tiger I Initial kit.

_GOTOTOP