_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anti-laser filter on periscope lenses ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 09:59 AM UTC
Rather than painting the anti-laser filter colours on modern AFV periscope lenses, I have found a very simple and effective alternative. Using illustrations in a glossy magazine, apply a piece of sellotape over areas of purple, deep red and orange (and other appropriate colours), and cut out tiny strips (just big enough to cover the individual periscopes ... about 1mm x 2mm on a typical 1/72-scale tank). With the end of a cocktail stick, apply a thin layer of PVA glue to the face of the periscope, and lay the lens over this.
With careful choice of colours, and the sellotape providing a realistic reflective quality, the result is quite satisfactory for this scale.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:04 AM UTC
so on this side of the pond is it called scotch tape ?
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:35 AM UTC
John,

Exactly so ... I've just used this method to replicate the filter coating on my 1/72-scale Stryker periscopes, and I'm really pleased with the result. Of course, it's important to select colours that are not too bright. All too often I've seen the lenses replicated using colours that are rather garish. In real life, they are quite subdued (unless the light is directly on them).
The layer of sellotape (or as you call it 'scotch tape') creates a very subtle refraction of light across the surface when you view the model from different angles.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 03:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply
MatthewC
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 07:22 PM UTC
I usually go to local dollor stores and buy inexpensive bags of what they call "bangles". it's a form of mylar glitter that's cut into various shapes that I use for the lenses. I bought a bag for less than a dollar and I'll never use it all... In the U.S. we have a store called 'Dollar-Tree"... That's where i bought mine. I was in the 'Party' section.

HTH

MatthewC
 _GOTOTOP