_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Tamiya's Ancient JS3 Tank
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:43 AM UTC
I was wondering which actual version of the real-life tank it was based on. The original?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering which actual version of the real-life tank it was based on. The original?

You mean the "T-10 JSIII"? It probably wasn't based on an actual version, rather a agglomeration IS-3, IS-3M, T-10, T-10A, T-10B, and T-10M features taken from grainy, retouched photos and without the knowledge that the IS-3 and T-10 series were completely different tanks with different proportions, dimensions, and shapes. Hell, they couldn't even sort out the name.

KL
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:41 AM UTC
Mind you, the actual kit was probably no better or worse than was the norm for the time.

I acquired one several years ago thinking that I could do something with it - of course, I couldn't. I kept it for a while, then bought the Navigator resin/white metal T10 version. Eventually I consigned the Tamiya one to the bin. I still have the Navigator kit somewhere although given that I now have the Trumpeter T10 I doubt I'll ever tackle it.

What I do remember was the quite impressive Tamiya box artwork, which I kept. It did beg the question that if Tamiya could render such a good picture of the beast why the kit was so very "off".
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:57 AM UTC
Binned it? It's a freaking collector's item!

Funny, I have a 1962 book on modern armor by von Senger und Etterlin that differentiates between the JS-3 and T-10 and has passable 1/76 diagrams.

But the ancient Tamiya T-54 was based on the malproportioned diagram of the time like the Roco T-54 was.

And then there's the ancient Aurora Js-3 and Revell T-34 in their various iterations.

Research? Nah, fuzzy photos or copy someone else's kit.
 _GOTOTOP