_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Peleliu Airfield Diorama
JordoWiebo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hey Guys! This is my first post here. Also, my first diorama thats not just putting vehicles/figures on a painted base. Lemme know your thoughts!

The figures are Dragon and are built OOB except that I converted the wounded marine and the flame thrower into the guys that carry the mortar. Mortar is from a Tamiya weapons set. I hate painting eyes and can never get them quite right, so I omitted them.

The Chi-Ha is A Tamiya built OOB. I originally wanted a Dragon Ha-Go but didn't want to spend the money on it when I was intending to build it in a destroyed state. Ended up getting the Chi-Ha for $9 and didn't destroy it anyways haha. Guess it was abandoned due to engine failure or something.

Base is styrofoam and gravel.

Removed by original poster on 07/26/18 - 23:29:31 (GMT).
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:16 PM UTC
Memoirs written about the battle note that the coral rock on Peleliu was very close to the surface, and artillery fire pounded it into chalky dust that soon covered everything and everybody. The marines looked like ghosts by the end of the campaign. You might incorporate some off-white pastels into the uniforms and onto the vehicle.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:52 PM UTC
Nice work with the Chi-Ha, as well as the figures. The sense of motion/direction is well done. But,, the pile (or low wall?) of stones next to the prone Marine doesn't look natural, nor does it appear to match the rest of your otherwise fine groundwork.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work with the Chi-Ha, as well as the figures. The sense of motion/direction is well done. But,, the pile (or low wall?) of stones next to the prone Marine doesn't look natural, nor does it appear to match the rest of your otherwise fine groundwork.

Unfortunately, it betrays its origins as a piece of styrofoam packing. The rocks are simply too regular in shape to appear natural. While foam is fine as a base to build the groundwork on, it doesn't work well exposed. I'd replace it with a rock from outside.
JordoWiebo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:44 AM UTC
Thank you guys for the feedback! I noticed from reference photos that the marines were covered in chalk and dust and I tried to replicate that a bit on the figures with some drybrushing because I don't have pastels on hand. Good eye though!

The piece of styrofoam does look odd haha. I found a pice of concrete and rock just in the driveway as a placeholder until I find something more suitable

j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 09:14 AM UTC
nice job !!
 _GOTOTOP