_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Will Tamiya Leo 2A5 tracks work w/ Meng 2A4?
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 01:06 PM UTC
I'm getting started on the Meng 2A4. I'm building one along with my Mom. It's her second model ever. The first was a Meng Toon Sherman. She bought that one on the week that she turned 70. Pretty cool. Anyway- the 2A4 is great but these tracks are a pain in the neck. Can Tamiya 2A5 tracks fit the 2A4? If they do fit, would they be correct?

Thank you. Lee
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 02:52 PM UTC
Not sure about accuracy (though I don't recall any variation on Leo II tracks.), but I'd think fit would be OK. I accidentally cross decked Tamiya and Revell tracks with no issue.
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hi!
Leopard 2A5 and 2A4 tracks are the same. There should be no problem to change the kit tracks, however it might be a question of the length of the vinyl track. Apart from the length on the real vehicle, I would guess every model company also takes into account the length which is needed o their model. Even if the real 2A4 and 2A5 have the same running gear, the track tensioner can be placed different which has effects on the length of the track.

Andreas
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...however it might be a question of the length of the vinyl track. Apart from the length on the real vehicle, I would guess every model company also takes into account the length which is needed o their model. Even if the real 2A4 and 2A5 have the same running gear, the track tensioner can be placed different which has effects on the length of the track.

Andreas

Which is why it's nice to have the skirts. The length doesn't really matter at all as long as the pitch is correct on the kit track so that it'll fit the Meng sprocket.
You could cut an inch of the track and fasten it with twist ties if you wanted, and make it the perfect tension. No one will ever see it.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm getting started on the Meng 2A4. I'm building one along with my Mom. It's her second model ever. The first was a Meng Toon Sherman. She bought that one on the week that she turned 70. Pretty cool. Anyway- the 2A4 is great but these tracks are a pain in the neck. Can Tamiya 2A5 tracks fit the 2A4? If they do fit, would they be correct?

Thank you. Lee

Lee
the track will fit im planning on putting the tracks from Tamiya's Leopard 2A6 on Mengs Leopard 2A7
Buzz
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:48 AM UTC
I've tried them and they seem to fit fine.
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 02:08 AM UTC
Good information! Thank you, gentlemen. Mom started hers by cleaning up the roadwheels yesterday. I started by putting together one side of the tracks. I found it to be a bit of a pain. Some of the parts would not snap together and they are really delicate. She likes the subject; she's building it for the October IPMS show in Austin. It's for the Cold War theme of the show. She was a bit apprehensive about the complexity of the kit. That's why I got one for me; so we can build them at the same time. If she runs into a problem, I can help with it without doing the work for her. I think it's pretty cool that Mom decided to take up model building at age 70, and build tanks, of all things.

_GOTOTOP