_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Change of plans
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 09:00 PM UTC
No plan of attack survives first contact with the enemy ..... Was planning on doing my Tiger II with markings for s.Pz.Abt 503 in Hungary. Plan has been revamped to a 503 tank in France. I found a source last night (damned if I can find it now!) that indicated the spiffy brown / green (with a touch of dunklegelb) scheme was done by 1 Kompanie only, and they had their turret numbers on the forward 1/3d of the turret (3. Kompanie had them on the rear 1/3d). I don't remember if the site said the had the crosses on the turret. They had a good photo of a tank with that scheme. Anybody happen to know the site or can clarify the info?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a source last night (damned if I can find it now!)

Maybe you could just check your browser history....

H.P.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 10:52 PM UTC
Unfortunately "HAL" did a weird reset last night and all I have is todays history.
LikesTanks
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 - 11:28 PM UTC
A quick search of Porsche turrets (I know) found the pics of 3rd company tanks lined up training. They have the spiffy camo pattern with the cross on the turret. The burnt out 1st company tank under tow in Normandy has the cross forward on the hull. So far so clear, but there is also a picture of a 3rd company tank with the nice camouflage and the cross on the hull.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:48 PM UTC
Ithink I found the same photos. Tiger 332 photo was in France, I think. Shows cross on forward hull (and crewman riding on the barrel.). I found reference she was destroyed by her crew 21 Aug. 44, near Paris. 334 has the tiger stripes and cross on turret. It also looks like only the turret is camoed. I'm thinking the photo was at Paederborn. I think I saw the photo of 112 was in Hungary. So... did the crew decide the location of the cross when the camoed the vehicle? I guess I'm going with 332. From what I can tell she did see some action and I know her fate.
 _GOTOTOP