_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Old Italeri/Testors M110A1
JordoWiebo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hey all! I wanted to build a kit of the M110A1 for my father in law who worked on them while stationed in West Germany. All that seemed available without major modification was an old Testors/Italeri kit. Does anyone know anything about this vehicle and this kit specifically, like innaccuracies or possibilities for improvement? Here's what she looks like:

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:46 AM UTC
This link has some information:
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/m110.htm
The major visible difference between the M110 and the M110A1 is the length of the gun barrel. The M110 had an M2A2 203-mm / L25 howitzer and the M110A1 had the longer M201 203-mm / L37 howitzer. L25 and L37 means the length of the barrel given as multiples of the caliber, in this case 25x8 vs 37x8 inches, a difference of 96 inches or 8 feet. I don't know from which point at the breech end the measurement is taken but the difference is really visible at the business end
The M110A2 added a muzzle brake and possible some bits and pieces.

Check that you are building the correct variant, the box-art shows an M110 but the topic title says M110A1.
Italeri have released the other variants as well:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/145800-italeri-252-self-propelled-howitzer-m-110a1-thunderbolt
/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:03 AM UTC
Most reviews you'll find fixate on the stiff tracks, which aren't really that much of a problem.

The issue that I find most glaring is with the automated loader. It is out of proportion and missing several details. This appears in no review anywhere, but is obvious once you compare it to photos.

The second issue is that the kit was designed to satisfy the needs for three different kit: The M110, M110A2, and M107. While they provide separate barrels for the muzzle end, the rear parts are not the same for each of those variants. The thicker "collars" on each are different lengths, as is the spacing between them. Italeri apparently chose a compromise that is not correct for any version. The notches on these pieces are also oriented in the wrong direction. That's a relatively easy fix, but the corrected lengths is not, although I'm working on it.

And finally, the kit was based on a museum piece, which was missing most of the commo gear, plumbing, and other small details. The plumbing that is provided is cast on to the towers.

I've photographed these particular pieces around the world, and the most complete one sits two hours from my home. You're welcome to my photos of it if you want. They're more complete than most walkarounds you'll find of museum pieces.
JordoWiebo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've photographed these particular pieces around the world, and the most complete one sits two hours from my home. You're welcome to my photos of it if you want. They're more complete than most walkarounds you'll find of museum pieces.

That would be incredible help! Thank you for the advice guys! I do want to make sure I'm as accurate as possible since my father in law will know the machine through and through. But I don't want to ask him because the final build will be a surprise gift for him.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:27 AM UTC
In addition to the great info given above, there is also a 3D printed driver's compartment for it that is very nice from 3D In Scale.

It can be found at Shapeways.

Also, if you do want to swap out the tracks, Spade Ace Models has a nice set of metal indi-link tracks.

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:59 AM UTC
Verlinden did an M110A2 conversion and update set, if you can find one. Can't speak for its accuracy.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Verlinden did an M110A2 conversion and update set, if you can find one. Can't speak for its accuracy.

I have it.

Not totally inaccurate, but still does not address the inaccurate rear barrel portion. For the most part it's not a real improvement on the kit. However, you can more easily do the M110A1 version with the supplied barrel, although you can do it with the A2 kit's barrel easily enough. You also get two storage boxes for the spade, but for what you get, not really worth the bother.

As for the interior kit, a matter of preference.
I scratchbuilt one twenty years ago that was woefully inaccurate. (but it did have lighted dials!) It was difficult to see most of the detail, and that's even with the whole gun assembly removed.

In my opinion, the juice ain't worth the squeeze on the interior set. Do the Shep Paine thing if you're inclined and "suggest" an interior.

I have a lot more resources now than I did then, so I'd certainly not rust up the engine and transmission covers next time around. Hint: They're aluminum.

Since you're doing an A1, you might want to trade your barrel with someone who wants to do the early M110. They're a lot harder to find.

Almost forgot. PM your email address. I'll send you my walk arounds.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:29 AM UTC
I built one about a year or so back.

Posted on here.

I also have some stuff I have downloaded for it.

An email and a few days I could send you some.

Cheers

Jeff
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all! I wanted to build a kit of the M110A1 for my father in law who worked on them while stationed in West Germany. All that seemed available without major modification was an old Testors/Italeri kit. Does anyone know anything about this vehicle and this kit specifically, like innaccuracies or possibilities for improvement? Here's what she looks like:

You don't have to bother with conversions. Italeri did an M110, and an M110A1, and an M110A2. Some reappeared in Testors or Revell Germany boxes. The original kit is hardest to find today, and could bring a decent price on EBay. Scout around and you could find the M110A1 kit in the same place. Scalemates will show you the kit boxes, release dates, and stock numbers.
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hello
Hobby Fan has a detailling set that feature the loader. I have it since a long time but can't comment about its accuracy.
In my opinion the metal tracks are a must have for this kit.
Eduard has too an old PE set.

This old baby (with the VP set too) will be nice on my M911 truck...

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri did an M110, and an M110A1, and an M110A2. Some reappeared in Testors or Revell Germany boxes. The original kit is hardest to find today, and could bring a decent price on EBay. Scout around and you could find the M110A1 kit in the same place. Scalemates will show you the kit boxes, release dates, and stock numbers.

I'm not quite sure this correct, but I'd be happy to be wrong. The kit billed as an M110A1 is actually an M110. Of course, doing an A1 would seem to involve just leaving off the muzzle brake, but you'd want to modify the muzzle end and add rifling.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello
Hobby Fan has a detailling set that feature the loader. I have it since a long time but can't comment about its accuracy.
In my opinion the metal tracks are a must have for this kit.
Eduard has too an old PE set.

This old baby (with the VP set too) will be nice on my M911 truck...

Good deal on the PE but they do not make it no more I asked said nope not going to reissue the set.

Bummer as have the 175 MM to do also.
JordoWiebo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 03:36 AM UTC
Thank You everyone for all the responses, photos and help! Will keep you guys updated on the project!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 03:50 AM UTC
And again, it´s time for a NEW ACCURATE M107/M110 family. If Trumpeter does all the Soviet arty pieces, why no M110/M107/M578? Plenty of nations use/used them, so Trumpeter can do alot of variants. Trumpeter, do you LISTEN!
 _GOTOTOP