_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sweden will buy Patriot
Bigred69
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What kind of tractors are intended? Volvo or Scania? Swedish splinter camo will look attractive on the launcher.

I have to agree with Hans-Hermann, will it be a 6x6 or a 8x8 tractor? It would be an interesting combination.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Considering it had been designed specifically against aircraft, rather than ballistic missiles. The fact that they were able to modify and field an anti-ballistic missile capability in such a short span of time is quite incredible.

I think most of the modification R&D was done concurrent to the missile's development. Patriot, as a counter to "theatre" ballistic missiles, was exempt from the ABM treaty.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why would anyone threaten Sweden?

1. It's not about ABBA We have plenty of Russian tourists visiting Sweden so if they want to experience "Home of ABBA" then they can simply book a ticket.

/ Robin

Ha! Ha! That question was totally meant tongue-in-cheek, Robin. I can fully appreciate that the only way to guarantee neutrality is to make sure it's too painful for someone to try to violate that neutrality.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 12:16 AM UTC
Great history & strategy lessons Robin !
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I fully agree!...and I must say that from a Suisse person I see that the 2 nations (and it is better to point out that they are 2 different nations since it seems that part of the world population believes that Switzerland and Sweden are the same country... ) survived the war in a very similar way ... also because they did not have a great choice of options...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I fully agree!...and I must say that from a Suisse person I see that the 2 nations (and it is better to point out that they are 2 different nations since it seems that part of the world population believes that Switzerland and Sweden are the same country... ) survived the war in a very similar way ... also because they did not have a great choice of options...

The best way to tell the two countries apart is that Sweden does not manufacture Cuckoo-clocks and Switzerland makes better chocolate The mountains are better looking in Switzerland but there is no archipelago and there is a LOT more empty space in Sweden.

/ Robin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I can get along with that idea, Australia , already a bond with Marines ready to drop in and kick Butt.Same also in Nam,about the only ones that had some serious troops on the ground.

Cheers

I am not Aussie, I live in Australia now but I am Swiss and like all Swiss I have done compulsory military service in a neutral country, Australia is not a neutral country ... it has never been, but there is not a completely neutral state, it is impossible both for geopolitical reasons and for human reasons, governments are made by people and people have preferences, ideas and alignments.

I did the military service just after the end of the cold war and the army was still focusing on the eventuality of that war and Switzerland was completely focused on an attack from the east, not because the Soviet bloc was a direct enemy but because the odds were all in that direction. During WWI the army was mobilized especially in preparation for a possible German-Austro-Hungarian attack as in WWII by an Italo-German attack, especially after the discovery of the plans for the "Operation Tannenbaum"....not because you are neutral you have to get yourself with your pants down!

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"..."if you want peace, prepare the war"...

Nice reply, so is it better in Australia?
I did my time during the cold war.
Actually could wear one of those Vietnam Era veteran hats, enlisted in 1974.
Good deal on the Russians, still they have never bombed us here.

Cheers
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good read, all maybe not needed, so like a Bully facing 4 more bullies?
Those Vikings were brutal back in the day, from what I have read.

Well, that was a thousand years ago
but we can still "prod buttock"
There was a short time in history when Sweden controlled most of the shores around the Baltic Sea. The Russian Tsars also wanted a piece of the economic action (tarifs to import/export goods through the baltic ports). So we went to war and eventually the Russians got the upper hand. Up to the end of WW I the Tsar controlled almost all of the eastern shores of the Baltic but the peace settlement changed most of that and the Finland quit the Russian empire when the revolutions had turned Russia into chaos. At the end Russia had a little piece of the Gulf of Finland and the Finnish border was unpleasantly close to Saint Petersburg.
In the late thirties Stalin made a deal with Adolf about their respective spheres of influence (Nazis and Commies being best buddies, at least until the ink had dried ...).
Stalin was to get Finland, the baltic states, half of Poland and parts of the rest of Eastern Europe.
After WWII Finland had managed to stay out of Stalins grasp, the baltic states were republics of the USSR, Köningsberg had become Kaliningrad and is still under Russian control. The east european countries had been forcibly joined to the Warzaw pact and then the iron curtain came down.
In the 1990'ies the USSR fell apart, the Baltic states popped back into existence and Sweden had less Russian ports (points of departure for an invasion) to worry about. Now a Russian attack can only come over the Gulf of Finland or from Kaliningrad. Otherwise it has to cross NATO territory (the Baltic states and Poland). Going across Finland is an option but the Finns would object to that and Russia has learned that Finland is a tough meal to chew on.
/ Robin

Another great read,and no BS with those SAKO rifles.

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice reply, so is it better in Australia?
I did my time during the cold war.
Actually could wear one of those Vietnam Era veteran hats, enlisted in 1974.
Good deal on the Russians, still they have never bombed us here.

Cheers

Honestly I did not leave because I did not like where I lived, my wife Aussie has been there for years and we decided to try Australia, I like here I could stay here all my life,but I could also sell the house tomorrow and go back to Switzerland without any regrets ,Both the two countries are a nice place to live and in all 2 there are things that I like and I do not like... I prefer the Swiss political system of direct democracy but here I prefer the more relaxed lifestyle that there is here in Oz for example ... I traveled a lot before having family and learned that there is no paradise there is the beauty and the ugly everywhere the important thing is to feel good!...
TheoBraat
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The best way to tell the two countries apart is that Sweden does not manufacture Cuckoo-clocks and Switzerland makes better chocolate The mountains are better looking in Switzerland but there is no archipelago and there is a LOT more empty space in Sweden.

/ Robin

Plus there are no elks in Switzerland

Removed by original poster on 08/07/18 - 00:06:04 (GMT).
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:08 PM UTC
Good read there, so maybe I should take the wife , and move to her country now, as she has spent 40 years here with me.
Maybe.
Cheers
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:45 PM UTC
Oh come on Europe. It's in your blood. You can't help it!

Short version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M90C7FA4FYU

Long version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l53bmKYXliA

Cheers

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Short version

Long version

Cheers

As European I can tell you ... you're right, the fact is that we get bored easily, I can compare Europe to my wife, sometimes she gets bored of how the house is set up so she waits a bit 'down the guard and I find myself that the sofa is no longer where it was before, the bed is on the other wall, the blue bathroom has become pink .... but at least you do not get bored ...

USA are boring it never changes anything. Just move the furniture in the house of others !! ...you can some time have some little skirmish with Canada or Mexico just for fun!
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As European I can tell you ... you're right, the fact is that we get bored easily, I can compare Europe to my wife, sometimes she gets bored of how the house is set up so she waits a bit 'down the guard and I find myself that the sofa is no longer where it was before, the bed is on the other wall, the blue bathroom has become pink .... but at least you do not get bored ...

USA are boring it never changes anything. Just move the furniture in the house of others !! ...you can some time have some little skirmish with Canada or Mexico just for fun!

Being Canadian born I can see your point but I have visited OZ and I didn't see much changing there

Well maybe there is this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pjB8UrHwO4

Cheers (Tooheys)

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Short version

Long version

Cheers

As half Italian maybe so.

Was it not for us Italians , most would not have roads today. :-)

Cheers

Jeff
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As half Italian maybe so.

Was it not for us Italians , most would not have roads today. :-)

Cheers

Jeff

And water proof concrete.

Saluti

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being Canadian born I can see your point but I have visited OZ and I didn't see much changing there

Cheers (Tooheys)

I totally agree with you ...New Zealand should return to being Australian....even just so the Aussie can stop moaning because they lose with against the All-Blacks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1O1mvSo_38

Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers (Tooheys)

I totally agree with you ...New Zealand should return to being Australian....even just so the Aussie can stop moaning because they lose with against the All-Blacks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1O1mvSo_38

OMG - I totally forgot about Middle Earth

My bad

At first it was unsettling seeing the video of OZ and Middle Earth at war. Hobbits and munchkins - Wicked withes and Sauron. The one ring and ruby slippers - AHHHHHHHHHH

I will hold off on any cheers until I am sure all is ok down there
 _GOTOTOP