_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Best modern kit for Rhodesian T55
stewtas
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi I'm thinking of modelling a Rhodesian T55. Any suggestions on a recent kit release that what be suitable? Cheers
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hello
The reply is linked to the origin of these T55. If the tanks are russian build (I thinks so), the best way is to go with one of the Miniart T55 . Accuracy and detailling are excellents. Don't know the version of Rodhesian T55.
The only problem I found is that Miniart differents T55/T55A don't included DSHK that is a common equipment on the exported russian T55.
Other Good kit is the Takom T55A (not as Good as Miniart one) , it has DSHK but the tracks are late version (so need new ones for most exported).
The Tamiya kit is full of inaccuracies but it looks T55.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 10:47 PM UTC
Now, while I cannot verify or recommend kit details, as it happens I was in Zimbabwe in 1981 on a British Military Advisory Training Team (BMATT)in 1981.

I was very good friends with the Royal Armoured Corps instructor who was assisting the Rhodesian armoured boys and not only did he let me crawl all over one but also fixed me up with a drive.

I further recall he said that they were part of a consignment sent from Poland to Uganda, had been intercepted by the South Africans and then given to the Rhodesians; I seem to think that there were only around half a dozen or so.

A check of some ancient photographs I took at the time reveals they were fitted with the stowage box on the RH side of the turret (if you're looking at it head on, DsHK fitted, NATO-style camouflage nets furled tightly over the turret with searchlight and spotlight fitted to the LH side of the main armament (again, looking at it from the front). I know that the searchlight was obviously part of the whole but am less sure about the white light spotlight adjacent and slightly underneath. On top of the stowage box a ammunition box (pressed steel type) was affixed.

Finish was an overall green (I would presume the original Sov/WP finish) with a medium brown camouflage patch pattern over that, all thoroughly dusted and faded by the African sun as one would expect.

As I say, as to the actual model I'm unsure but I do recall the received wisdom that they were Polish built; the glacis had the aperture for the hull MG, though I can't remember if this was actually fitted or not.

'Not sure if this helps much or not!

Brian
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:12 PM UTC
Well , if most of the tanks are polish build it will be a bit more difficult to do an accurate one.
Takom T55A builded in Chekoslovakian version, with early tracks (ModelKasten are the best but the Trumpeter WORKABLE set looks great too).
You'll have to modify the engine deck, mainly the area of the two big hatches close to the turret(the polish T55 have T54 style hatches). If you have the old Esci or Trumpeter T55, you could take the parts from these poor kits. Both have T54 hatches.
Other option is Shapeways 3D service:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XBSCNZQQZ/1-35th-scale-polish-t-55-engine-deck?optionId=60273234&li=marketplace

Check the "Modelling a T55" thread for more infos.
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:00 PM UTC
This might help, scroll to bottom:

http://www.rhodesia.nl/quartz.htm

Andy
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi;

FYI;--There is A Good Build of A T-55 in Rhodesian Camo; and its in either Missing or Track links using the Tamiya T-55 and its quite nice !

CHEERS; MIKE.
stewtas
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 - 12:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys.
 _GOTOTOP