_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng Female Mark V
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi folks, this is my 3rd build in 2008. This kit from Meng is very outstanding, one of the best kit ever produced! Construction began a month ago. The build was really fun, the fitting is very superb. There is not filler used with minimal sanding. The hull consisted of several parts which at first i'm kinda worried about the fitting but Meng proved me wrong. All parts fitting like Lego blocks. The building process was so smooth that i dont have the chances to take the construction photos. They are all very straight forward. The only things i dont like was the number of road wheels that i have to install. But they are 100% wont be visible once the tracks is installed. I have read that someone didnt paint the wheels.

So lets go to the painting stage

I primed the model with Mr Surfacer 1200 and then i preshade with hull red. Then i spray the entire model with Mig Ammo British Khaki.

This is my first time using mig ammo thinned with mr. leveling thinner which works like a charm. Im surprised to see the coverage of mig ammo was really solid. The opacity is good.

Next i masked the area to be painted with the red n white stripe. I painted the white and then red using mr.color.

Afterthat i spray with Future before applying the decals. I chose the J19 marking and there are only 4 decals that need to be placed. Decals responded well with setting solutions.

While waiting for the decals to dry, i move on to the crib - trench crossing device. I dont like the plain looking plank so i replicate the wooden texture with saw blade and scribber.
Left side shows the plank after texturing.

All the other 'wooden' parts are treated the same way and then i paint with mig ammo new wood. Next a few washes of raw umber, sepia, red brown were applied as in this photo

Next is the track. The tracks are mounted on the sprue with 3 attachment points that need clean-up. The instruction called for 91 link each side so its 91x2=182 links multiple by 3 to get the idea of how much cutting stroke is required.

A sharp and good cutter will help

The tracks are design to be workable. Despite the time consuming clean-up process, the assembly of the tracks is really easy. U just snap a link to another until you hear click sound. MY 7 y.o twins help me with the track assembly which they said is easy to do it.

test fit the tracks

Like i told earlier, the wheels wont be visible at all but i do paint them all with black.

The exhaust is painted with black then i applied earth, red, brown rust shade of various tone onto it to replicated worn out and rusted exhaust.

Next step is my favorite step which is weathering.

I faded the color with buff color. then i post-shaded with black and brown n smoke as a mixture. After drying, i applied oil-dot techniques on the surface

While waiting for the oil to dry, i paint the crib. The 'metal parts' were painted with blue grey. I further enhance the wooden effect with yellow, white and then burnt umber wash

Test fit the crib

Back to the tank...
Weathering part 2 - paint chip
I like heavily chipped tanks so i used sponge method with dark brown and black all over the place for the chipping paint effect.
vertical streaking is done with AK interactive products

Phewwww.... this is all the progress for this build over the last 30 days... thanks for looking.

Will be back for more progress...

Zaidi

panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:51 AM UTC
Great looking model!
It’s nice to have helpers!
Dan
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking model!
It’s nice to have helpers!
Dan

thanks Dan

another small update

pin washes to all bolts nuts n rivets.. and all nook n crannies ..took me almost 4 hours
the tracks were given the first touch of steel by dry brushing with gun metal powder..

these photos shown some of the latest update n progress made to this excellent kit

that's for now...

thanks for looking

Sil
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 06:21 PM UTC
Great job on the weathering.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job on the weathering.

thanks bro

another small update

I add various earth color pigments to represent dried n fresh mud.

Its hot n sunny here..so i take this shots

The tracks is weathered with gun metal pigment n rust oil color... i will add some dust on the tracks later

[/img]https://scontent.fkul13-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40321106_10214573263117117_5031381929010659328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1b82d84f757048e949be5ab37424a6b8&oe=5BF49432[/img]

Just a few more step before i call this build done

Thanks for looking

Sil

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 04:21 AM UTC
Finally managed to complete this build last week. This kit was also taken to ScaleArt 2018 competition and manage to get gold medal.

here are some of the photos. Photos were taken with sony alpha 6000 and post processing in adobe photoshop.
I hope u all like the photos...

the gold medal

thanks for viewing
comments are appreciated

Sil
 _GOTOTOP