_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building a 105mm-armed Centurion?
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 05:03 AM UTC
Browser broke when typing, so I'll keep it relatively short.
I haven't been able to find AFV's Centurion 5/2+6 kit in the last year or two, so what are my options for building any Mk of a Centurion in British service with the 105mm L7A1?

I'm mostly not sure what kit is the best starting point, my options are AFV's early Sho't, Australian 5/1, 5 w/dozer, and their ERA'd Sho't Kals.
I know I'll probably need an AM barrel at the minimum, of course.

Still, thanks for any help!
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 05:31 AM UTC
The mk5 with Dozer is propably your best option and an Aber barrel which you will need to modify a bit

http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/In35_L_144.pdf
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The mk5 with Dozer is propably your best option and an Aber barrel which you will need to modify a bit

Ok, thanks. I was expecting it to be the Dozer version (it seems to have all the extra parts from the 5/1 + side skirts*), just wanted to be 100% sure before I ordered it.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:04 AM UTC
You might want to get a mantlet cover as well.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:26 AM UTC
This is the base kit I used. I was able to build up about 99% of Mk5/2 from it.

AFV Centurion Kal Shot 1973

I used the Eduard PE set and the AFV club mantle cover (which was horrible - I do not recommend)

Came out looking pretty good.

Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:48 AM UTC
Will keep the mantlet cover in mind, I assume getting to the build is a month off at the very minimum, luckily it does seem like according to the instructions, minus the L7, everything's in the 5 w/Dozer kit.
However, I was trying to find a 105mm L7 on ebay, and it hasnt really went anywhere. Best I've found were either M68s (Not usable here IIRC), or a Leopard 1 (early) barrel

Does anyone know if this Leopard 1 barrel would work? The only difference I remember, minus possibly how much barrel is showing, was the breech being modified.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/105mm-L7A1-METAL-BARREL-to-TAMIYA-LEOPARD-1-35112-1-35-AKKURA/362212467720?hash=item54558ba408:g:x6IAAOSwndZaWjai
Not sure if the manufacturer is anything, as I've never heard of them before. Still, it "seems" usable here (as I cant find the Aber version*)

Also, nice Mk5/2! Though, what are the issues with AFV's mantlet cover? I havent tried to look into any reviews for the covers yet, so I'm not sure on specifics there
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:58 AM UTC
The flexible AFV Club mantlet covers require a bit of finesse to fit correctly. Gorilla Glue is probably the best product for attaching them.
And Rory, that is nice build indeed. Perhaps I'm not quite following, but how did you go from the 1973 Sho"t into getting that result? I'd have to dig out one my old boxes to see - does it come with both engine decks?
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:58 AM UTC
The Leopard barrel is shorter than you need, if I recall correctly, by 12mm.

Quoted Text

This is the base kit I used. I was able to build up about 99% of Mk5/2 from it.

AFV Centurion Kal Shot 1973

I used the Eduard PE set and the AFV club mantle cover (which was horrible - I do not recommend)

Came out looking pretty good.

Not pretty good, very very good.

But this kit has become quite sparse now, mainly in Europe, it is easier to get hold of it in the US. I have been looking for one in a logical price for quite some time...
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, any idea what modifications would be needed for that Aber barrel?
Finally just decided to search the #, as I cant open the pdf currently (long story*), and it does seem to be availible on ebay. (Aber's Tiran-5 barrel? Or did I mess up there.)
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:25 AM UTC
@Shalta

The mantle cover was a bit too small. What you cant see is how much plastic I had to hack away from the mantle itself just to make it fit.

@Robert

Yes, it comes with all the sprues from previous kits so you get the older version engine deck and stowage boxes for the hull. The PE fret is a bit different and the front armour add-on for the front hull plate is not quite right but to be honest when I looked at reference pictures the plate was different in almost every picture I saw of a 5/2. They just kinda welded whatever on there
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:33 AM UTC
Of the over thirty Centurion kits (some 1/25, several resin as well )I still have waiting, I may be able to spare one.

Or, if you prefer not to fiddle with the whole mantlet cover, I'll sell you an Accurate Armour turret. (already with beautiful cast on mantlet) I have five, folks, so the offer is good for anyone.

PM me if interested in either.

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally just decided to search the #, as I cant open the pdf currently (long story*), and it does seem to be availible on ebay. (Aber's Tiran-5 barrel? Or did I mess up there.)

If you use a mantlet cover you will just need to make a bigger hole on the plastic mantlet part for the barrel to fit. If you do not use a mantlet cover you will need to remove some material from the barrel base (make its diameter smaller in order to fit better to the plastic mantlet).
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you use a mantlet cover you will just need to make a bigger hole on the plastic mantlet part for the barrel to fit. If you do not use a mantlet cover you will need to remove some material from the barrel base (make its diameter smaller in order to fit better to the plastic mantlet).

I'm still deciding 'if' I want a mantlet cover, mostly as it's more familiar to me without it. (Used to seeing Centurions on display without it)
But that sounds pretty simple, will keep the idea in mind. Planning to get the kit then figure out the barrel currently
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:49 AM UTC
found on amazon https://www.amazon.com/AFV-Club-Models-Centurion-Shot/dp/B003BWAO4Q/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_21_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y9QRGAC2MQQWZJ2CRJ07&dpID=51NpLQnWgjL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail 3 left so get it quick. all parts necessary are there, except the gun. built one as Brit and went well
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:48 AM UTC
Accurate armour, do l7 barrels in 1/35 with thermo cover and with out.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:53 AM UTC
Indeed. They came with the turrets pictured above, although I'd be hard pressed to find them at the moment. Probably in a container labeled "Barrels."
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of the over thirty Centurion kits (some 1/25, several resin as well )I still have waiting, I may be able to spare one.

You sir have a sickness!

I only have 2 Centurions, both built.

Also right now in the For Sale/Trade section someone is selling a Nato 5/2

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/269456&page=1
 _GOTOTOP