_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-34-85 Model 1969 in Braille Scale
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:05 AM UTC
I want to do a mild conversion based on the Revell T-34 and using donor parts from either PST or ACE to create the updated T-34 as used in Vietnam and right up to Croatia in the ninties.
I'm thinking of the tracks and the starfish wheels from the PST and the 200 litre fuel tanks and pump boxes from ACE amongst other things. Anyone already done this in 1/72nd and have some advice please - especially if there are any other kits I should look at
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone already done this in 1/72nd and have some advice please - especially if there are any other kits I should look at

I haven't used it, but I have the MR Models Model 1969 conversion set for the Revell 1/72 kit - looks pretty cool.
Aitch
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
Yeah, I saw the MR Models conversion on their website - cool.
I got the PST T-55 (at long last) over the weekend but I've a feeling that I'll get the MR one anyway.
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 12:23 PM UTC
I grab PST T-54 and T-55 kits when I can, just to have them around as donors for track and suspension parts. I recently saw on Missing Lynx where someone did the project I keep planning to do-- he made a better T-62 from the Italeri (ex-Esci) kit by replacing the toy-like suspension parts with PST ones.

Randy
Aitch
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi Randy - I'm agreeing with that - I'll grab as many PST T-54/55 as I can, just in case. I got a couple of the old Esci link and length 'just in case' - best thing I ever did
I'll take a look on Missing Lynx for that article on the T-62 too. Thanks for the tip.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Randy - I'm agreeing with that - I'll grab as many PST T-54/55 as I can, just in case. I got a couple of the old Esci link and length 'just in case' - best thing I ever did
I'll take a look on Missing Lynx for that article on the T-62 too. Thanks for the tip.

Sounds like a plan. I'll look for it as well. One thing I found that is necessary to build the old Esci/Italeri T-62 is the old Eduard T-62 etch set (22001).
Spades
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
Since I just finished working on combining a PST T-55 kit with the ACE T-55 kit, heres what I did. The turret from PST is too small, even if YOU were a 1/72 person, you would have problems fitting in the hatch. The ACE turret is a better fit, also, the ACE road wheels are better detailed (with a lil work) then the ones from PST. The Hull and Tracks from the PST kit are better detailed than the one's from ACE. The kit I completed was a TI-67 in Israeli use, Jim had it posted on this website when he was featuring the SCHAMS contest and its entries. Hope I helped in some fashion.
Aitch
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Spades - I saw your model - didn't realise it was as small as 1/72nd proves it's a good model doesn't it :-)
Very useful info there as that was another kit I'd planned to do, now I know to get yet another PST T-55 as a donor kit... :-)
Spades
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
Aitch, thanks for the compliment on the TI-67, all that mixing of parts and cleaning/sanding was a pain in the butt. Took me like 2 months before I got everything together.

Hint - (any ACE kit needs extra attention to it because of the molding and flash. I recommend you buy the ACE kits on EBAY, because to buy them at a hobby shop at FULL price is a rip-off and not worth it once you realise how much work needs to be done, believe me, I have several ACE kits. They ALL need help. )

I have a few t-55 kits from PST which I plan on using with the ACE kits, cant lose with this process.
 _GOTOTOP