_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Help with paint brand
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 05:16 AM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/31438/20180810_131015-800x600.jpg

I am working on a kit for one of the campaigns. I finished priming with Tamiya's fine primer. I used Life Color's olive green to paint the roadwheels and lower hull and their Dunklegeld to paint the turret and upper hull. I then drew and colored the camo pattern on paper. I plan to draw the pattern on with a pencil and brush a hard edge then spray in the field color. I might paint the small dots and make it an ambush pattern.

Here is where I need your opinion. I fought the Life color paint all day. I used new unopened bottles of paint. It was really thin and did not cover well. It spidered so I reduced the pressure. It spattered because of extra paint on the tip. The airbrush stopped painting on multiple occasions. I completely stripped the airbrush twice and windexed the airbrush, lacquer thinned the airbrush and ultrasonic the airbrush. I have lost faith that I can finish the camo without screwing up the job. I have never had these problems with Tamiya. I really do like the Life Colors color choices but I'm not liking the paint at this point.

What paint should I finish with? The only paint I have available locally is Model Master enamels and acrylics at Hobby Lobby. I will probably order some paint online. From your experience, I need a paint that will be able to brush the hard line edge without brush marks and be able to nicely spray the field color.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 05:48 AM UTC
What thinner are you using? Have you tried using a retarder for your acrylic paints?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:27 AM UTC
I used Life Color thinner and two drops of retarder.
smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 09:11 AM UTC
Lifecolour is great, but you need to know how to treat it. Short answer-too much thinner, i would guess 1 to 1 rather than 1 to 4 which works better. Lifecolour is already quite thin and flows well, adding too much thinner kills coverage, plus the paint pools and spiders. So try 20 to 25% thinner, or less for dunkelgelb, and enjoy.
 _GOTOTOP