_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzerjäger 38(t) in Syria?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 05:39 PM UTC
Found on German Wikipedia a remark that Panzerjäger 38(t) were used by Syrian Army in Six Day War. Just a typo?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 06:13 PM UTC
Incorrect info, as the Syrians operated the following ex-Wehrmacht AFVs only: PzKpfw.IV, StuG III. Jagdpanzer IV, Hummel. The IDF claimed to have destroyed a Sturmpanzer II on the Golan Heights during the Six Day War but the wreck was never found.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 06:48 PM UTC
That`s what I Thougt.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Incorrect info, as the Syrians operated the following ex-Wehrmacht AFVs only: PzKpfw.IV, StuG III. Jagdpanzer IV, Hummel. The IDF claimed to have destroyed a Sturmpanzer II on the Golan Heights during the Six Day War but the wreck was never found.

i was just wondering how much of it is still there sitting out in the sun waiting for some museum to take it and restore them?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i was just wondering how much of it is still there sitting out in the sun waiting for some museum to take it and restore them?

A few Pz.IVs wrecks could be still out there. Someday I’ll make a field trip to map all remaining wrecks of the Golan Heights.
iam2brb
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:30 PM UTC
I broke out Zaloga’s TANK BATTLES OF THE MID EAST WARS 1&2. & I don’t see that tank type referenced. Interestingly, in earlier wars the Syrians used several well known German types & even the Renault 35.r in the ‘48 war.

I would actually be surprised if the 38(t) survived ww2, as the Germans used that hull/chassis for a whole series of TD’s
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:47 PM UTC
I think the Panzerjaeger 38t is a tank destroyer more commonly, but incorrectly,referred to as the Hetzer
 _GOTOTOP