_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
How do you open molded armor hatches?
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 10:02 PM UTC
I am trying to open the engine hatches to show off the engine compartment on a 1/72nd scale Panzer IV J, but unfortunately they are molded to the hull. How does one open the hatches that are molded to the hull without destroying the hull?
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 10:15 PM UTC
If they are simple plate types, the best route is to drill chain linked holes with a mini drill on low speed. Cut the linked holes and smooth the opening with a file. Measure and cut new hatches from sheet styrene.

Jack
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 12:47 AM UTC
Jody,
Try using sewing thread. Polyester to be specific. Drill a small pilot hole on the very edge of the hatch to put the thread through and then using a see saw motion begin sawing around the perimeter of the hatch. You lose a lot less plastic this way and the resulting hole can be easily cleaned up with a small file. Bring your stuff weds night and I'll demonstrate for ya'. Looking forward to seeing this project of your completed.

For those of you who dont know about this project, he is scratch building a complete interior for a 1/72 YES 1/72!!, Panzer 4. I have seen the turret and it looks absolutely outstanding. Jody you need to send in some pics of it or I can send the ones in I took of the turret. Practice the sewing thread cutting on some scrap kits to get the hang of it. Once you do you'll never go back to anything else...trust me. "Q" AKA Matt
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try using sewing thread

Another type of cutting material in addition to thread is dental floss.
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
these are interesting news! try and see where to get these magic strings!
guess my way of opening such hatches is too old fashined then:
I use a fresh x-acto blade and sourround the part with the tip, with gentle pressure, until it is cut out.
In some cases the hatch maybe destroyed, but the hull remains untouched.
but in this case scratching a panzer IV engine hatch, which would be too thick anyway, should no be the issue, when the whole interior is going to be scratched. scratching the hatch is a warm up only I think...

regards, werer
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
1/72nd scale..... showing off enigne compartments...... That is small with a capital S....

If someone has a pic, I'd really like to see it.....
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 02:29 AM UTC
It takes a skilled hand and a fine eye to scratchbuild on 1/72nd. I'd love to see that !
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
I'll send the pics I have of the turret in to have them posted. It includes a turned aluminum barrel, elevation gears and cranks, shell cathcer basket thingy, coax and the sight system...looks incedible at its current level. I'll see him again tomorrow night and I hope he brings it with him so I can get soe more pics of it. I just recently jumped off into 1/72 armor and this stuff is giving some inspiration to do some wild stuff with my kits.... Dont be shy Jody...your work is great!! Chime in and let the follks know how its coming... :-) "Q"
 _GOTOTOP